Normal Topic Subform design question (Read 1317 times)
charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Subform design question
Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Now that I have actually purchased Sesame, I feel obligated to become a nuisance (j/k)...I have two databases I have merged and created a subform for repairs related to my inventory.  I have the subform in "table view".  I can't seem to find a way to size the table elements (cells) and save them.  I can shrink the elements, save the layout, close and then save as a new application, yet when I re-open, the table settings are the same as before I adjusted the size.

I've tried several things in Designer, but have been unsuccessful in sizing the different table cells and saving in my subform.  Any help or suggestions always appreciated.  
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2006 at 1:12am by charliebrown »  

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Subform design question
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 2:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Width or height? Width shouldn't be a problem. The table picks up the widths from the elements on the subform. The height, on the other hand, cannot be changed, no matter how tall you make the elements. I thought about making the row the same height as the tallest element in the row. But you can have several thousand pixel tall elements. Same goes with smallest - some elements can shrink down to a line.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 3:09am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the reply...I'd better dive back in then.

I have our Repair records as a subform to the Inventory database and I don't mind scrolling down through the repair records...scrolling left to right (width) to view all of the fields is a bit of a pain though.  If I can shrink the cells' width and save them so they stay that way and in the order they appear, I'll be more than pleased  Smiley

When I created the subform-after merging the two databases-I chose "table view" as opposed to "form view" which gives us a good overall look at the past repairs on each individual piece of equipment when we search it in Inventory.  I have the subform "parent-child" set up relationally with serial number as THE defining element that is specific to each piece of equipment...the other elements can overlap and give mixed results.

To give you an idea of what the subform looks like, it contains the following elements:

Site
RepairDate
Make
Model
SerialNumber
TagNumber
PartsTotal
LaborHours
Comment

Too much information for the table perhaps?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 2:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Naw, we have table forms running out in the world with hundreds of elements. Are you setting the widths by going to that form (the one that will appear in the table) in SDesigner, where you will see it in form view, and setting the lengths of the elements on that standalone form in SDesigner?

Also, unless you have more than one parent form displaying the same child form, it is unlikely that relational linking will be the happiest holiday choice. You might consider going with the far less complicated natural linking instead.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 6:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Naw, we have table forms running out in the world with hundreds of elements. Are you setting the widths by going to that form (the one that will appear in the table) in SDesigner, where you will see it in form view, and setting the lengths of the elements on that standalone form in SDesigner?

Also, unless you have more than one parent form displaying the same child form, it is unlikely that relational linking will be the happiest holiday choice. You might consider going with the far less complicated natural linking instead.

I'm still getting a feel for what we want in our merged database.  I believe we're close though.  BTW, translating the databases were a breeze thanks to the cleanup directions in the manual Wink
I'm attaching a screenshot of where I am currently.  I'll get more artistic with the designer as soon as I have the program working and looking as I want it to.  Ideally we wish to track inventory accurately and view repair records at the same time in order to see how much money we have invested in parts and labor for each piece of equipment.  I have input repair records for a thousand + pieces of equipment going back to 1989  Shocked -more fun than anyone should be allowed to have.

I'm still "struggling" with the subform table so I can permanently adjust the sizes of the cells on this form to avoid horizontal scrolling.  That may not be possible and, if not, I can live with it until I figure out an option.  Good news is that the data is intact and the subform appears to work in the merged version of this program.  Here is is in the search/update screen (you'll see what I mean regarding cell sizes in the subform.  I can, of course,  readjust them each time I open the program.

The "unadjusted" version:

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/456dd110z2ef31adb/f7f4scd/__sr_/3f18scd.jpgph4ldb...

IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 7:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
In Sesame Designer, you can adjust the element widths for the elements on your subform. This will also change the width of the cells in the table view subform.

For example:
If your main form was called Inventory and had a subform diplaying a table view version of a form called Repairs.
Changing the width of the elements on the Repairs form, will change the width of the cells in the Repairs subform on the Inventory main form.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 7:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
If the subform table view is not wide enough to show all the fields, how about making two or more different subforms, one above the other, or each on separate tabs, each with its own group of fields?  You can control the widths and positions and visibility on the sub form designs.

Problem then will be how to keep the multiple sub form views in synch so when looking at top/bottom form the other one is showing the same record?  May need some type of routine that would sort all views when changing lines ..... hmmm, this is getting complex....

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2006 at 11:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Nov 29th, 2006 at 7:47pm:
If the subform table view is not wide enough to show all the fields, how about making two or more different subforms, one above the other, or each on separate tabs, each with its own group of fields?  You can control the widths and positions and visibility on the sub form designs.

Problem then will be how to keep the multiple sub form views in synch so when looking at top/bottom form the other one is showing the same record?  May need some type of routine that would sort all views when changing lines ..... hmmm, this is getting complex....

"Complex" huh?  Smiley  I find myself thinking the same thing somewhat.  The more I do with this program, the more I want to do.  This was intended to be a fairly simple merging of two databases, with a couple of expectations:

One: To insure that when we added repair data that the serial numbers were accurate-eliminate those silly one digit "off" things that happened occasionally when we were using two seperatate dtatbases in Q&A.

Two: To be able to view repair and inventory dta for each individual pice of equipment at the same time.  We have a "policy" that we developed a few years back in which we decided not to put $1500 worth of repairs into a $200 piece of equipment   Roll Eyes  Being able to see the repair data when viewing inventory would be very cool.  As a matter of fact, it is cool-extremely so.

So that's it in a nutshell, so to speak.  I have NO doubts that Sesame will exceed our needs and expectations.  We have a few hurdles to clear, but the fact that I work with the poster children for short-term memory loss will not squash my optimism.  

IP Logged