Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Mass Email using Mass Update (Read 6540 times)
nateboone

Mass Email using Mass Update
Jan 1st, 2007 at 10:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi--

For a mass update spec, I'm trying to use this programming to send out a mass e-mail using this code (LE6 is my email field):

---------------------------------
(variables, etc.)

emailSuccess = @SendMail("smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com", "WE KIDS",
"Mr. Nick <mrnick@WeKids.org>", LE6, "", "", "Hi " + firstName + "--"
+ @NewLine() + @NewLine() + emailInsert + @NewLine() + bottomAddress)

if emailSuccess = 0 then
@MsgBox("Congratulations! The mass e-mail was successful!","","")
else
@MsgBox("Sorry, the mass e-mail was unsuccesful.","","")
--------------------------------
Which is unsuccessful, because I'm trying to do this with Outlook Express.  When I do the following:

-----------------------------------------------
Outlook_Exp_Path = @Chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" + @Chr(34)

OutLook_failure = @Shell(Outlook_Exp_Path + " " + "/mailurl:mailto:" + LE6) 

IF NOT OutLook_failure = 0 THEN 
@Msg("Couldn't open Outlook Express")
----------------------

I am succesful in opening the email in Outlook Express with the email address.  How do I combine these two in order to do this for a mass e-mail?

Thanks

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Mass Email using Mass Update
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 11:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
When you use the @sendmail command in SBasic, your application becomes an email client talking to an email server. Outlook is also an email client. You will need to choose which email client you want to use for this task, either Sesame or Outlook - but not both.

The reason the @sendmail command may not be successful is that your email server might require a password to be used. Look in your outlook smtp settings and see if outlook is usually sending a password. If it is, you will need to use a command line email client and the @Shell command. If it isn't, then somethinig else is wrong and you may be able to use 1.1.4 @SendMail.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

nateboone

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 11:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
yes... outlook is usually sending a password.  What is a command line email client and how do I use it?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 11:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
A command line email client is a small program that lets you set the email address, body of the email, maybe attach a file, and send that email to that email address all from a command line. In other words, it does not have a graphical user interface, nor require any user intervention to send the mail once the program has been started up.

I can't tell you specifically how to use any particular command line email client. Most of them will have startup flags that control the program's behavior. These startup flags will be specific to each specific program. The program at this address: http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/ documents its startup options right on the web site. I don't know if this one is any good or not. I use Unix to send and get email. Unix has several command line email clients built in.

I don't send or receive email on MS Windows, so I can't really recommend one command line email client over another. If you enter "command line email client" (without the quotes) into Google, it will return with several dozen, some of which are free or nearly free. It may be possible to run outlook from the command line using startup flags to cause it to send an email.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 12:55am
Print Post Print Post  
I know that I have submitted Outlook command line instructions here over the past few years.  No time to look right now, but do a Search for Outlook. 

Note that Outlook and Outlook Express are different email clients and use different syntax. 
Review the Search results carefully, but I think both have been submitted.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 1:06am
Print Post Print Post  
If you want to use outlook express as a command line email client, here is a MS support page on how to do it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192341

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 3:54am
Print Post Print Post  
I submitted this on 5/3/2004, but the link it refers to has been removed.  Perhaps Mark/Erika can bring it back?

Quote:
There are a number of Outlook items that can be created with @Shell.
The basic syntax for Outlook with command switches is:
"FullPath\Outlook.exe /c ipm.class" 

On March 7, I submitted the correct syntax to use with Outlook on the forum at: http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=archived;action=display ;num=1083335529;start=5

====================
Here is an excerpt from some of my old notes for Outlook Express and/or Outlook:
Code
Select All
var n as int
var vRe as String		//Subject of Email
var vEmail as string		//Recipient Email address
var vBody as string		//Body of Email
var vAttach as string		//Fullpath and name of attached file
Var vPath as string		//Full path of Email Client

vEmail = "myname@myplace.com"
vBody = "This is what goes into the body of the Email."
vAttach = "c:\config.sys"
vRe = "This is a test of the Subject line"

/*
//Outlook Express - GOOD
WriteLn("Outlook Express")
vPath = @CHR(34) + "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" + @CHR(34)
n = @Shell(vPath + "/mailurl:mailto:" + vEmail + "?Subject=" + vRe)
*/

//Outlook - GOOD
WriteLn("Outlook")
vPath = @CHR(34) + "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" + @CHR(34)
n = @Shell(vPath + " /c ipm.note /m mailto:" + vEmail + "?Subject=" + vRe) 

This causes Outlook to open for entry, so it is not ideal for mass mailing. 
But Spencer Wulwick did come up with a utility to do that. 
I am sure he will send you a copy if you request one.

SpencerWulwick wrote on Feb 2nd, 2006 at 4:07am:
Hi -

This message is primarily for "Captain Infinity."

Although still not finalized, I have sent you a revised copy of my @SENDMAIL database.

You mentioned in another thread, that you wanted to see the different messages on the tab page.

When you open the database, you should be in "Search" mode.  Just click on the "Read First" tab.  You'll see a message that many of the tab pages cannot be seen in Search mode but you can see them in Search/Update and Add modes. 

When you press F10 to retrieve the first record, the message on the Read First Tab will be completely different.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

nateboone

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for your help Bob...  I sent him a note, so I'll let you know how it goes when I hear back.

IP Logged

nateboone

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Just for kicks... in your code you never actually applied "vBody", your variable for the text body of the e-mail.  How would that fit in?  I tried:

... + "&body=" + "test text")

with no go.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 5:59am
Print Post Print Post  
I mentioned it was an excerpt.  The section for the body was for Firefox and Mozilla.  I thought I stripped out all of the Mozilla stuff.  I don't believe that there is a switch for the body in Outlook.  As I noted, this code opens up Outlook for you to enter the body, not good for mass emailing.  I would use the Sesame's Sbasic command for @SendMail to do mass mailings. 

You could include a copy to yourself and keep that copy as a record of what was sent if you need a copy in a Sent Folder.  If using OUtlook, you could set up a Rule that would move the incoming message directly into your Sent Folder.

Re your use of @SendMail problem:
Your SMTP address looks kind of strange to me.
If you check the settings in Outlook, does it have smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com ?
The SMTP is usually your ISP, and I am surprised to see yahoo as the ISP
Yours may be OK, just not one I have seen before.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 2:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Nate,

This may have gotten buried in the various exchanges. Here again is a support page showing how to automate Outlook from command line, which you can do from Sesame using @Shell.

Quote:
If you want to use outlook express as a command line email client, here is a MS support page on how to do it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192341

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

nateboone

Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 5:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob--

I used this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274456

to make sure I was looking at the right place for my SMTP server, and I'm pretty sure that this is what it is... am I looking in the wrong place? 

"The Cow" mentioned before that: "The reason the @sendmail command may not be successful is that your email server might require a password to be used. Look in your outlook smtp settings and see if outlook is usually sending a password. "

Would this change somehow if no password were used?  What if the settings were set up to "remember password"?

IP Logged

nateboone

Reply #12 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 5:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer-

This is the link I used to get "&body=testtext" to try to input into the body of the e-mail, but I must be doing it wrong...

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 6:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
nateboone wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 5:20pm:
Bob--

I used this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274456

to make sure I was looking at the right place for my SMTP server, and I'm pretty sure that this is what it is... am I looking in the wrong place?

Sounds like you are looking in the right place. You will want the value that is in the "Outgoing mail (SMTP):" field on the servers tab. If that is the value that you have then you have the right one.

Quote:
"The Cow" mentioned before that: "The reason the @sendmail command may not be successful is that your email server might require a password to be used. Look in your outlook smtp settings and see if outlook is usually sending a password. "

Would this change somehow if no password were used?  What if the settings were set up to "remember password"?

The Sendmail Command is not Outlook Express or tied in with it so setting the Remember Password option in Outlook Express has no affect on the SendMail command. What Error number is being returned by the @SendMail() command? Just add the following line of code after the @SendMail() call and let me know what number it displays.

Code
Select All
WriteLn(emailSuccess)  

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #14 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 7:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
nateboone wrote on Jan 2nd, 2007 at 5:24pm:
Hammer-

This is the link I used to get "&body=testtext" to try to input into the body of the e-mail, but I must be doing it wrong...

Hello,

You would use that syntax with @ASynchShell() but it would not be ideal for a Mass E-mail as it will bring up a Outlook Express Message to each person you are e-mailing with the fields filled in.

An example of it, just in case you have another area where you want to be able to click and have Outlook open with a message that has the subject and address already filled in, would be.

Code
Select All
Var vSuccess as Int

vSuccess = @ASynchShell("Mailto:" + Email + "?subject=Thank%20You") 

You would Replace Email with the name of the element that has the E-mail address stored in it. When run this code will open a new message in Outlook express that has the "To:" field filled in with the e-mail address from the application, and has the subject filled in with "Thank You".

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print