Normal Topic Trying to export large QA database into Sesame... (Read 1313 times)
Cliff

Trying to export large QA database into Sesame...
Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have created a single new Sesame database that is based on the design of two former (currently available) QA databases.

My intention was to export the data from both QA databases with column headers (field descriptors) to an ascii csv format.  My next intended step was to then manipulate the various columns by header to match the current new structure in Sesame.  Following I would concatenate the two modified ascii csv files into one...then simply import same into Sesame.

Not...

I have encountered the following caveats and limitations ala Microsoft...thank you very much...

1. One of the databases is very large...approximately 750 fields...Importing large databases into Excel requires they be in a text format and one can not import a csv into a single worksheet larger than 256 fields...so...one is obliged to break the intended import file into sections so Excel can deal with it.
2. Exporting from QA to ascii does not allow me to export in such a manner to include field descriptors (column headers).
3. Exporting in a DB(X) flavor includes the field descriptors/column headers...but Excel does not treat the import as a text file and the data import appears corrupted.
3. Importing into Excel as described in step one means that I would otherwise have to manually parse the intended import file.

As always...all help is very much appreciated...

Thank you...

Cliff

IP Logged

Cliff

Re: Trying to export large QA database into Sesame
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 4:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
I found a way to do this by translating the former qa datatbase to Sesame then exporting the qa database structure to ascii from Sesame...

Thanks...

IP Logged