Normal Topic Multiple licenses in use (Read 872 times)
NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Multiple licenses in use
Jan 6th, 2007 at 10:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Every once in awhile when I'm doing some trouble shooting I discover that more than one of our licenses is in use by the same computer (usually mine!). Today I found a locked record in one of my files which led me to discover that SIX of our licenses were in use by me.

In the past we've shut down and restarted the server with no problem. I'm just curious as to what might be causing the server not to release me or logging me on more than once. My shortcut properties show my target as: C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -client (server_name) PMs.db - not sure if this even has anything to do with it.

Any thoughts would be apprecited.
Thanks,
Fred

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Multiple licenses in use
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 11:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
If your server temporarily loses network, it won't catch that a client has disconnected. Shutting down, rebooting, or powering off the client computer without shutting down the sesame client, can (but usually won't) cause a client misscount. In the admin interface, you could try sending a message to all clients, that may cause the server to notice that those clients have disconnected.

Are you on MS at both ends?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 8:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes - MS at both ends. Sending the message had no impact. Thanks!

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 2:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
We experienced this same issue again today. I wanted to do some programming changes so I checked to make sure no on else was logged in (not likely at 4:30 a.m.). To my surprise, my machine was shown as being logged on twice. I tried to send a message just to see if one of the log-ins would be dropped, but neither was. I had to wait for our IT to come in and restart Server.

Bseisdes what was mentioned in the above reply, and possibly someone logging off incorrectly, are there other things I can look at that might give me a clue as to what is happening? It seems like we run into this at least every other week.

(Gonna be 35 below zero with the wind chill this weekend - Green Bay, WI - anyone care to come up to the barbecue I'm going to have?? Anyone?? LOL)

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 3:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ghost Clients in 1.1.4 can be caused by

Unpluging Clients Network Cable or disabling network connection in Control Panel
Changing Clients IP Address
Server Going into Standby Mode
Firewall on Server becomes active and does not let Sesame through
Firewall on Client becomes active and does not let Sesame through

So if one computer seems to be the one doing causing ghost clients it could be network card, network settings, Cable or maybe even a bad port in the hub/switch. If one group of computers is having the problems could be a bad hub/switch or bad cable from that hub/switch to the rest of the network. If all client computers are having this problem, then look at standby settings and firewall settings on the Server.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 3:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ray - I'll share this with my IT today.

Fred

IP Logged