Normal Topic Windows/Linux transportability (Read 536 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Windows/Linux transportability
Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
As I have started to do some Linux work, I am now wondering ......

Can the data and designer files be moved between different Operating Systems, and still function properly?
Can the Sesame Server be a host to multiple Operating Systems, at the same time?

I suspect the answer is YES, they are transportable, but wanted to get a solid confirmation. 

I suspect the major precaution will be the use of any paths in the programming.  Should use variables from the system vs. hard coded.  And @Shell and File I/O commands should use IF functions based on the OS to call routines outside of Sesame.

Would it be useful for a thread for development to support both environments?  Hmmm .... probably not, maybe not enough traffic for that as a separate topic......

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Windows/Linux transportability
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Feb 26th, 2007 at 6:10pm:
As I have started to do some Linux work, I am now wondering ......

Can the data and designer files be moved between different Operating Systems, and still function properly?

Yes. I do so at least once a week.
Quote:
Can the Sesame Server be a host to multiple Operating Systems, at the same time?

Yes. Doing so as we speak.
Quote:
I suspect the answer is YES, they are transportable, but wanted to get a solid confirmation. 

I suspect the major precaution will be the use of any paths in the programming.  Should use variables from the system vs. hard coded.  And @Shell and File I/O commands should use IF functions based on the OS to call routines outside of Sesame.

In Sesame 2.0, you should use a #define for the path separator. In 1.1.x - use a variable. That way you only have to check when you set the value, not every time you use a path. In every case, try to omit the drive specifier from DOS, a leftover from when MS when "borrowing" from CP/M instead of "borrowing" from Unix.
Quote:
Would it be useful for a thread for development to support both environments?  Hmmm .... probably not, maybe not enough traffic for that as a separate topic......

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Windows/Linux transportability
Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 11:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the confirmation Mark.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional