Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Search/Update subform from within parent form (Read 2942 times)
charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Re: Search/Update subform from within parent form
Reply #15 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 5:29am:
Actually ths storm that washed out Carl's street is part of the same storm that affected Hammer.  And we are still waiting for that section to hit us soon.  Also, Carl's town made the 11 o'clock news for flood problems.  About 20 miles from me.

Curious about the double number of subform records......
Did you delete the sub form records after export, but before import?
Deleting the parents does not delete the children, you may have duplicate subform records for each parent.
If you did not delete the parents, do you have two of each parent also?

The weather is insane...Will spring ever arrive???...*fingers crossed*...soon I hope.  Hang in there folks...careful back there Bob!

Yep...after export of all parent and subform records, I performed a mass delete of both parent and subform records...I went back and looked at the total of my records before export and after import...the total subform records are not EXACTLY double; there were 6016 subform records that I exported - when I imported back after re-design, there were 10,780.  Also another interesting item I see on my menu tree...I now have TWO subform folders on the tree-only one parent folder though.

In Designer, I deleted the subform that was designed for relational linking, saved, added a new subform for Natural linking, saved, reconciled to my application (after exporting, of course), then imported my data in the same order I exported.

Getting ready to leave for work...will do this again when I get there and check my menu tree for number of folders.  I was relatively certain I only had one for both parent and subform data... Huh
Something is peculiar in a somewhat strange way here... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #16 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 1:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Charlie,

Just deleting the subform won't do it. You also need to go into Field Manager and delete the SUBRECORD fied that represents the relational link. Currently, you have two links between the parent and the child records.  That's why the sub appears twice on the menu tree.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #17 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 2:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 1:00pm:
Charlie,

Just deleting the subform won't do it. You also need to go into Field Manager and delete the SUBRECORD fied that represents the relational link. Currently, you have two links between the parent and the child records.  That's why the sub appears twice on the menu tree.

I have this flat spot on the left side of my head from slapping it...time to change sides I think  Cheesy

Thank you.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 8:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
charliebrown wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 2:40am:
Quote:
Charlie,

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you.

It sounds likely that your application is not "corrupt", but does have data in the wrong elements due to the ASCII imports not "lining up" with order as exported, or from error presents in the original Q&A application. If you wish, we have tools here that can determine if what you are seeing is structural corruption or not.

Looking back at my post, rather than my database being corrupt, I should have said that I think I may have imported some corrupt data from Q&A when I translated into Sesame.  I'm quite certain it has nothing to do with Sesame but rather some bad data I imported from Q&A.  The translation process went smoothly-no errors or glitches.  I noticed what appears to be "blank" records as well as the items I listed before when viewing the exported text file.

I did send my data files in to support for a different reason last Friday.  I can send again if need be.  Thanks for offering to look things over.  I'll be working on my end as well. 

I might add that our my Sesame program is running fine.  Searches are good, what elementary programming I have runs great.  I am curious as to how it will run when I change to natural linking:)  I have a very strong feeling it will speed things up considerably.  Thanks....*again*

Charlie,
I ran the apps you sent to Ray through some automated diagnostcs to check the structural integrity. All appears well.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 9:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark!  Appreciate you taking the time.  Ray and I communicated a bit; he gave me some great suggestions on searching in table view for records with special characters...I found a few this morning that needed to be changed or deleted. I'm looking things over in my parent form at the moment...may have a few serial number conflicts where blank values or arbitrary characters were inserted for items which had no serial numbers when entered into inventory.  This may be a possible reason when I Import my data back after redesigning, I have more child records than I did before. 

Thanks to you, Erika and Ray for steering me along  Smiley  I expect an epiphany soon...

Compeltely off topic:  Have you ever been really concentrating on a project and had 3 or 4 people just yacking away while you're trying to actually get some work done!!! 

Here's the fun part:  I was reciting the above line while typing it...my office cleared out in 3 seconds LOL Grin Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print