Normal Topic Windows 2000 Remote Desktop issue (Read 569 times)
SirKitry

No personal text

Windows 2000 Remote Desktop issue
Apr 8th, 2007 at 8:15am
Print Post Print Post  
I've installed Sesame 1.1.4 (3 user license) on a box which has been upgraded to Windows 2000 Server.

I looked long and hard at whether to run Sesame server as a service or not and because I'd like to be able to check number of users logged in and other administrative Sesame tasks I opted to not have it as a service (at this stage).

This does have a huge disadvantage that should the system restart for any reason I have to log in to start Sesame server again. I use a shortcut in Startup to accomplish this.

It's up and running fine but whenever I RDP in (Remote Desktop) I get another instance of Sesame server trying to start then dying. However the original instance of Sesame server (when I go to the box in question and physically check) is still up and running fine, users can log in normally, all is otherwise well.

Whats the best means of preventing the 2nd attempt at starting Sesame server when using Windows Remote Desktop ? I only need the one userid 'Administrator' on the W2K Server. Everybody else has their own workstation and they are not permitted, or need, to access the W2K server with a Windows login of their own.

TIA.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Windows 2000 Remote Desktop issue
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2007 at 4:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm not sure how these approaches will interact with remote desktop, but here is a page explaining different ways to start up a prigram automatically in MS:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial44.html

I'm not sure if any of these are what you need, but its good to know.

There are also quite a few utilities at sysinternals.com (now unfortunately a part of MS), that may be of use to you.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SirKitry

No personal text

Re: Windows 2000 Remote Desktop issue
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 1:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for those links Mark, especially the first, which has a huge selection of registry keys to look at. Some look promising.

I have a reasonable familiarity with INSTSRV and SRVANY and contemplated using those to have Sesame server start which may allow Administration access to the server even with Sesame defined and started as a process (under Windows control as opposed to Sesame being told directly with '-daemon' it is to start as a service). I will continue to look for a definite solution that already works, to prevent the Startup folder being processed each time a new RDP session is initiated. Sesame running as a service would alleviate this problem but restricts the ability to fault-diagnose Sesame Smiley

IP Logged