Normal Topic A few Report questions (Read 882 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

A few Report questions
Apr 26th, 2007 at 6:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
1. What is the View Header used for, and how does it differ from the other headers?

2. Is there a way to include HTML coding that will define the report's margins (overriding the user's browser settings)?

3. Is there a way to quickly select a group of report items (like "banding" does on a form)?  Or a "select all" method?

4. Why do the Spacers I try to drop between report items never fall where I want them?  Is there a trick to this?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: A few Report questions
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 7:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Apr 26th, 2007 at 6:39pm:
1. What is the View Header used for, and how does it differ from the other headers?

Having a second view causes the report to run through all of the data in the result set a second time - allowing two (or more) "views" of the same data.

Quote:
2. Is there a way to include HTML coding that will define the report's margins (overriding the user's browser settings)?

Not really. Margins are not a property of the report, they are a property of the medium in which the report rendered. In 2.0 margins can be set for printed HTML reports. This is accomplished on windows by affecting the registry entries for the OS's HTML renderer and then restoring them to their original values when the report is done printing.

Quote:
3. Is there a way to quickly select a group of report items (like "banding" does on a form)?  Or a "select all" method?

No rubberbanding or select all. You can hold down shift and select multiple elements. What operation do you seek to apply to most or all of your report elements?

Quote:
4. Why do the Spacers I try to drop between report items never fall where I want them?  Is there a trick to this?

Not that I am aware of. Can you be a little specific? Where do you want them? Where are they going? What kind of report is it - freeform or table based?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 7:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Having a second view causes the report to run through all of the data in the result set a second time - allowing two (or more) "views" of the same data.

Not sure I follow that, can you point me towards a documentation page that will help me understand?
Quote:
No rubberbanding or select all. You can hold down shift and select multiple elements. What operation do you seek to apply to most or all of your report elements?

Changing all the elements width settings, which they've inherited from Q&A.  Alignment, font style and size, and so on.  Often when I shift-click I wind up moving elements without knowing it until I run the report and the results stare back at me with a cockeyed grin.
Quote:
Quote:

Not that I am aware of. Can you be a little specific? Where do you want them? Where are they going? What kind of report is it - freeform or table based?

Table based.  (I haven't made any Freeform reports yet.)  I build reports without concern for the spacing between columns until after I get the results I want.  Then I pretty it up with spacers.  I drop a bunch of them into an unused header or something and then drag-drop them between my columns.  Or I try to, at least, but they usually wind up landing before or after where I want them to go.  (It's not just spacers, but any element I drag-drop into an existing lineup.)  I'm sure it's something I'll learn by habit over time, but right now it's frustrating me because I can never figure out where to hover before dropping them.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 8:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Page 381 of the Users Guide has an example of using multiple views to have the same data show up as both table and freeform in the same report.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 8:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
BTW, as Erika pointed out to me, in 2.0 you can do a select all (and much else) using the advanced element selection panel in the report designer. Set the action to "New Selection", the Select By to "Element Name" and the Name to ".." (or whatever search spec you like) and press Perform Selected Action.

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 2:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Page 381...

Thanks.
Quote:
...advanced element selection...

And thanks again.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2007 at 1:19am
Print Post Print Post  
Captain,

You can also move a report item up and down the column by first selecting it with the mouse, and then holding down "Ctrl" while using the up or down arrow keys.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged