Normal Topic Windows RAM beyond 2GB (Read 584 times)
johnbits

No personal text

Windows RAM beyond 2GB
Apr 30th, 2007 at 3:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello.

Mark has mentioned a number of times that Windows XP is limited to 2GB of addressable RAM.  A recent entry in a PC Magagzine column mentioned Windows XP being able to address more if certain methods were used and if the application could take advantage of them.  From microsoft, the following link describes a /3GB switch in the Boot.ini file.  Is this something Sesame could take advantage of or is it not recommended for XP or Servers (or Sesame)?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Thanks.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Windows RAM beyond 2GB
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 4:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
I can't say for sure, but I suspect that that would be okay. Under Linux, where all 4 gigs are available under normal conditions for 32 bit applications, Sesame is able to address and use all 4. So I imagine that under Windows, if 3 gig is enabled, Sesame would be able to address it. But, even if it can't, it would be sharing 3 gigs of memory with other applications as opposed to only 2 gig.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 6:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, Mark.  There was some reference to applications being designed to take advantage of this setup.  The same entry talked about Vista taking advantage of even more RAM, and it applies to the server products as well.  As things progress, perhaps there may be reason for both users and Lantica to explore this more.  Your quick response was appreciated, as always.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 6:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
It is our plan to eventually release a 64 bit version of Sesame that will be able to address terragobs.

It would be nice if MS would cease reserving any portion of memory that only the OS can get to. Or if they must, reserve substantially less than 1 to 2 gigs out of 4.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
I expected that you will have something to make even better use of RAM as it is such an important resource!  As far as MS, please understand that this little company is too busy training it's new CEO (see USAToday 4/30) to worry about such minor things as functionality and support!  Give the poor guys a break!  Cry

IP Logged