Normal Topic Cannot perform xlookup from external application (Read 559 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Cannot perform xlookup from external application
May 5th, 2007 at 8:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have main application with a few databases that I had merged over period of time and many forms in there. When I perform xlookup from external database (application)  it fails. The same one from within the application works fine. I believe this has to do with the security setting. What exactly do I have to change in order that I can do lookups from other applications?
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2007 at 9:05pm by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Cannot perform xlookup from external applicati
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2007 at 9:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
From page 436 of the User Guide:

Quote:
Performing "X"-family programming operations (such as @XLookup) to a database in another application requires a user name and password if the target application has security. To assign a user name and password for these operations, enter the information into the X User Name, X Password, and Confirm Password fields. This is the User Name and Password that will be passed to the external application or database. For the "X" operation to succeed, this User Name and Password must have permission in the external application or database to access the requested information.
(Also see Figure 5 on page 437.)

Quote:
The same one from within the application works fine.

Did you remember to change "@FN" to the proper path?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2007 at 9:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Did you remember to change "@FN" to the proper path?

Carl, I am aware of that. It is placed with full path even though partial should work. such as

"Data\Medical.db"

To be certain, I have also placed a full path.
"C:\Sesame\Data\Medical.db"

I have also used hard coded lookup through MassUpdate using one record and that even does not work, so I know it is security, as for example

var vTest as String

vTest = @xlookup ("Data\Medical.db", "012345678", "Index!RecNumber", "Name")
WriteLn ("Name is: " + vTest, "", "")

I know positively that RecNumber 012345678 exists with my own name. Writeln window only displays,  Name is: 

I think I might have located the problem. After having merged the different databases with the same security setting might have duplicated and re-duplicated the security setting. Normally it would not let you put the same user twice, I see the same users multiple times. The same group also several time. After making proper backup, I will remove all security setting and put one group, that is the same as the external application from which I want to lookup into this database.

I will let you know what happens.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2007 at 10:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
I removed all the security setting from the target application and did xlookup like it is supposed to. Now, I cannot have main application unprotected, so I will have to work on setting up security in such a way that it will work as well as protect.

Thanks Carl. I can always count on you.

IP Logged