Normal Topic Sesame on the Internet (Read 1069 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Sesame on the Internet
May 15th, 2007 at 8:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi _

I am very anxious to have a database on a web-site that can be accessed.  Has anyone done this who would be willing to discuss it with me?

I would like, at least, to get started with something simple, just to see how it works ... since I have never played with it, yet.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame on the Internet
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2007 at 11:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are you referring to using extractor or file I/O in 1.1.4, or the built in web abilities in 2.0?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2007 at 5:29am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

Since I don't yet have 2.0, I am referring to 1.1.4 and, of course, I will use 2.0 as soon as it is available.  

Since I am eager to "test it", I want to see what I can do in 1.1.4.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2007 at 2:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
In Sesame 1.1.x, there are several approaches you can take to working with web pages, everything from authoring them using file I/O or reports (which are HTML), to interacting with CGI scripts via file I/O or ASCII imports. What approach you take depends very much on what you seek to accomplish, how integrated your Sesame server is with your HTML server, your experience with CGI languages, etc....

IP Logged

Dan

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2007 at 4:18am
Print Post Print Post  
Hello, Spencer! I remember learning some nifty Q&A tricks by reading your informative posts on Compuserve. There were also some helpful moderators named Lance and Ofer.  Nice to wander across your message-boarding again, Sir.  Cheesy

TheCow, could I trouble you for some info about "the built in web abilities in 2.0"? The prospect of interwebificating (yes) a database has got my ears up. Thanks!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2007 at 3:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
TheCow, could I trouble you for some info about "the built in web abilities in 2.0"? The prospect of interwebificating (yes) a database has got my ears up. Thanks!

No trouble. Sesame 2.0 has a simple built in web server. It is not supposed to replace a full web server like Apache, but to work in conjunction with it. It has the ability to interact with Sesame applications, has a simple CGI capabilities like search or post, and a built in web page "merge" capability.

Additionally, Sesame 2.0 has several internet oriented SBasic commands, including commands to query web pages, parse HTML and XML, and transfer files. Sesame 2.0 also has commands to send and receive email, and commands for general networking.

All versions of Sesame use HTML for the format of reports. So any version of Sesame can be used to generate web pages, that can be easily transferred to a web site using file transfer commands using @Shell and @ASynchShell.

IP Logged

Dan

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2007 at 4:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks! The ability to get a search to it and spit something back in reply is intriguing.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2007 at 5:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks! The ability to get a search to it and spit something back in reply is intriguing.

The current version of Sesame 1.1.4 (and several early version as well) have that ability using the Sesame Extractor program which can easily be called from within a CGI script (Perl, PHP, Python, etc...) using standard I/O. You may want to experiment with it to see if it meets your needs.

IP Logged