Normal Topic Workflow (Read 569 times)
Gringamuyloca

Life is short... fix it!

Workflow
May 24th, 2007 at 8:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hola!

I have gone through all 54 pages of this forum: but not knowing what I am looking for is making things just a tad more difficult!  Grin

I am trying to assemble "something" that will let the guys at the shop keep track of the equipment they work on.

MY thinking:

Equipment master form - need a seperate form for each type (Tractor, Trailer,Forklift, Light trucks, Compressors, ets...) as data needed is different for each and I would end up with too many blank fields if I tried to use one form. (I read that this wasn't a good idea.)

Work Order Form -  A place to keep track of repairs, parts and Preventive Maintenance as well as history of same on any/all equipment. A form for each?

Scheduler? of some kind - To let the guys know when a piece of equipment is due for service, insurance /inspections coming due. I understand this is do-able with Sesame

Where to start?
Forms - As I enter each LE, should I 'format' (correct term?) it? ie: Combo box, list box, etc... restrictions, labels, names...
What about things like: if the Plate Number field is filled out, I want the Insurance expiry date noted in the next field. When, where and how do I do this?
Is there a workorder flow that I've missed somewhere?
I have been away from computers since 2000 and things have changed Smiley over the years, not the least the processor under the hair!

Any help, links, thoughts, ideas, critique etc... welcome!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Gringamuyloca

&&&&&&Note: Personal text is a quote from a man interviewed on CNN regarding the "Life is short, Get a divorce' billboard.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Workflow
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
MY thinking:

Equipment master form - need a seperate form for each type (Tractor, Trailer,Forklift, Light trucks, Compressors, ets...) as data needed is different for each and I would end up with too many blank fields if I tried to use one form. (I read that this wasn't a good idea.)

Here, you will probably be happier if you make one form that can handle the equipment on hand, and any equipment you might want to add in the future. You can use "generic elements" that can be relabeled or made visible/invisible after the user has told the form what kind of equipment they are working with. You may still end up with some empty fields, but that will probably be less of a problem than having to build a whole new form for all the different kinds of equipment or equipment that gets added later.

Quote:

Work Order Form -  A place to keep track of repairs, parts and Preventive Maintenance as well as history of same on any/all equipment. A form for each?

Here you might want to use a subform attached to the main equipment form.

Quote:

Scheduler? of some kind - To let the guys know when a piece of equipment is due for service, insurance /inspections coming due. I understand this is do-able with Sesame

This sounds less like a form than a report or possibly even just a query on the main equipment form.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Gringamuyloca

Life is short... fix it!

Reply #2 - May 24th, 2007 at 9:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for your suggestions!
Quote:
You can use "generic elements" that can be relabeled or made visible/invisible after the user has told the form what kind of equipment they are working with.

Where can I learn how to do this?

Quote:
Here you might want to use a subform attached to the main equipment form.

I thought I had to have 2 databases to use a sub form?

Quote:
This sounds less like a form than a report or possibly even just a query on the main equipment form.

Embarrassed Duh! What was I thinking???!!

Is there a backwards guide? I have an idea of what I need to do..sorta... having the program take the user from place to place; if info is entered in one LE then a following LE has to be filled out; creating lists for them to pick from...etc  but I have no idea what the 'codes' are that will allow me to do them. Going through the index in the back of the manuals is like trying to read an Asian newspaper to me.

Thanks again for your suggestions and prompt reply.
Tamara

&&&&&&Note: Personal text is a quote from a man interviewed on CNN regarding the "Life is short, Get a divorce' billboard.

IP Logged

Gringamuyloca

Life is short... fix it!

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2007 at 10:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
I'm a little embarrased... I guess I clicked on the Programmers Guide link... by accident.
The User Guide is much less Asian Newspaper than the Programmers Guide!!! Grin Grin Grin
and a lot more detailed than the tutorial! Wink

I'll go away now!

Gringamuyloca

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2007 at 10:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Gringamuyloca wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 10:53pm:

I'll go away now!

No need to go. Stay, ask questions. enjoy yourself. 

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged