Normal Topic macro file does not open (Read 916 times)
obfusc88

No personal text

macro file does not open
Jun 3rd, 2007 at 8:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I created three macro files on my computer and they work good.  But when i copied them to another computer i get a message that says the file failed to open.  both machines are windows XP PRO with SP2.  Sesame is 1.1.4 The macros are in the path and folder as original machine.  Spelling has been triple checked, and path in the message matches the correct folder location.  Files have been changed to/from Read Only.  The originals are ReadOnly to prevent changes.   Only one person uses the computer and has full permissions.  files in that folder can be added/deleted/modified so it does not appear to be permissions.  Files were originally sent be email and thought they were damaged to they were all deleted.  Then the files were transferred directly using Symantec pcanywhere.  Why would the files fail to open?

thank you in advance for helping me

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: macro file does not open
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 1:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Standalone or Client/Server?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 3:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
this is a standalone but why does that make a difference?  The full path is included when calling the macro?  But you did make me think about the pathagain.  This is the program line to call the macro:
@Macro("..\Utilities\Personal\Macros\Macrofile001.mac") but I just checked the other computer and the working directory is C:\Sesame\ on that one and is C:\Sesame\Programs\ on my computer.  So the real path is not being found.  I am going to change the program to include the real full path like this:
@Macro("C:\Sesame\Utilities\Personal\Macros\Macrofile001.mac").

I do think that will work now but sticll want to know why it makes a diffeerence as standalone or Client Server?  Same problem, possible wrong path?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2007 at 3:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
It makes a difference because when you are Client/Server the macro path relates to the Sesame Server not from the Client. So all Macro's are stored on the Server system rather then on the Client System.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 5:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was right when I said I thought changing to the full path would work.  The macros are now running good.  And thank you for exsplaining about the server and the standalone differences.  But now i do not need to make sure that all users always have same path but must put the macros in the same place.  It seems that if i have network users i could put the macro files on the server.  but if they are on the server drive C and I use full path then macro files will not be found again?  Or will that be fixed if i start to use Server/Client instead of standalones?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 5:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

If you are running client Server and your code says
Code
Select All
@Macro("C:\Sesame\MyMacro.mac") 

that will look for a file named MyMacro.mac in the Sesame Directory on the Server's C drive. As long as you specify either a Valid full path or relative path(If you are standalone, it is relative to the Start In directory as specified in the Sesame icon. If Client/Server it is Relative to the Start In directory as specified in the Sesame Server icon on the Server computer.) Sesame will find and load the macro file.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged