Normal Topic Retrieve Spec program not working (Read 525 times)
obfusc88

No personal text

Retrieve Spec program not working
Jun 5th, 2007 at 12:12am
Print Post Print Post  
I am not able to get programming to work in Retrieve Spec on any form in an application.  Here is a simple example of what I am using to test with right now
{ @left(ZipCode,1) = "2" }
When I do that I get no records located.  The progress bar glashes, but no records come back.  If I enter "2.." I get the records back where the zip code starts with "2", like I expected to do.  I get the same results on many forms in the same application.  But if I paste that search formula into the Samples Custmers it works good.  It works good in Q&A.  This started with more complex programming that worked in Q&A but not in this application.  So I have narrowed it down to a simple Zip Code test that does not work.  The Zip code is a text type element.

So what can be stopping any records from being returned? And what stops it on all forms, not just one?   I have checked the programming for Form Entry and On Retrieve Spec and Form Exit but see nothing that would stop this from working.  This is using Sesame 1.1.4 on XP Pro SP2.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Retrieve Spec program not working
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 1:53am
Print Post Print Post  
Are you aware that in a programmed retrieve spec, Sesame uses "field" names, not "layout" names?

Make sure you are using the field name for the layout element that you want to search on.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 3:25am
Print Post Print Post  
Carl's point is a good one.

That is one reason I use naming conventions that make sure my field names and element names are never the same.  It makes it much easier to see what you are doing.  My field names have a prefix indicating the data type, my element names use InitialCap format with no spaces, labels are for the end user.

In your example I would have the field named txtZipCode, the element named ZipCode and the label would be Zip Code.  And your programming statement would be { @LEFT(txtZipCode,1) = "2" }

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 9:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think that is was the spelling of the field name that was different from the name on the form.  The element name on the form had a space and the field name did not have space.  I saw two more fields that had no spaces so I added the spaces and now it looks like it is good.  It is good that you sent me in that direction.  Thank you for all assistence.

IP Logged