Normal Topic Date function... (Read 480 times)
Cliff

Date function...
Jun 5th, 2007 at 6:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am trying to pre-populate an application by populating a particular element in the form with the current (today's) date.

I can accomplish that easy enough, however, my challenge is to have the date pre-populate ONLY when we open the form in "Add-Data" mode. 

This date field should show (needs to) whatever date has been entered and saved from previous work when opening the form in "Search/Update" mode.

My attemps fill this element field regardless of what mode we open the form in with today's date.

I do appreciate any and all assistance and I am dutifully trying to code these things on my own before dunning you all here...

Again...

Thanks...

Cliff

IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Re: Date function...
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 6:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can use @IsNew to check if you are on a new record.

Code
Select All
If @IsNew Then
{
     DateField = @Date
} 

IP Logged

Cliff

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 6:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you kindly...!
Much appreciated...

Cliff

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2007 at 11:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Cliff,

Be careful not to simply place that code into the On Form Entry event. If you do this you can end up with many forms that are empty except for the date field.

A good place for such code is in the On Form Change event. That way, the date only fills in once you begin entering data in other fields (a good sign that the record will contain some useful info, rather than blank fields. Wink)

Another option you may (or may not, depending on your situation) want to include, is the ability to modify the date when adding new records. The following code, placed in On Form Change, will automatically fill in the date, but also allow you to change it if needed. Without using "@IsBlank(DateField)" as below, you will not be able to manually adjust the date while adding a new record.

Code
Select All
If @IsNew and @IsBlank(DateField)
{
	DateField = @Date
} 

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged