Normal Topic "Save" icon. (Read 573 times)
albeamer
Members

No personal text

"Save" icon.
Jun 12th, 2007 at 2:39am
Print Post Print Post  
Kill the disk.   I realize that the "Save" icon, that looks like a disk, is a built-in part of Windows, but the way that it is currently interacts with Sesame is that when one user (of 40) clicks it, the system tries to save the entire database.   This intensive process then causes every other user to freeze, with an hourglass that finally goes away after about 3-5 minutes.  As our databases get larger, I assume that the time to "save" will also get longer.   I do not know of any valid purpose in Sesame for this "save" button, as we save with the F10 or shift-f10 keys.  We try to train the staff not to hit that button, but every day we get at least one 5-minute "vacation" after someone hits that key, and we are not even able to determine who did it.   I have understood that the icon cannot be removed, but if its use could somehow be blocked, it would eliminate a source of frustration.

Has anyone figured out a way to hide the icon or block its use or do you all have users who are bright enough not to click on it?

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: "Save" icon.
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 4:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Now that you mention this, I am surprised that more people have not done that! 
Bad news is that I don't think we can currently hide those icons.

Version 2 is supposed to have more/better menu tools. 
Maybe they will make that one of their changes, the option to show/hide those icons?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 5:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Jun 12th, 2007 at 4:13am:

Maybe they will make that one of their changes, the option to show/hide those icons?

I am sure there will be methods in 2.0 that will help us deal with this issue. We only have another week or 2 before 2.0 will be available.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2007 at 10:54am
Print Post Print Post  
The part Al is leaving out is that his database is over 400MB - far larger than your average Sesame app.

On a normally sized app, saving does not ordinarily take 3-5 minutes.

The Save icon does have a valid purpose, especially in version 2.0, where you can set additional save options.

As always, if something is an issue, even if only for a very small number of users, we will try to address it. In this case, we may not be able to address it in time for 2.0, but we'll see what we can do.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged