Normal Topic File implementation into a database? (Read 455 times)
dirk.k

File implementation into a database?
Jun 15th, 2007 at 9:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Dear All,

i'm a bleedy beginner in databases and just trying out to find a very nice solution of my problem:
On a first stage i want to create a database, that records all kind of documents, such as bills, invoices, manuals, ebooks, etc. All those files are available in the Adobe PDF-Format. I've tested the code of the Database: "SesameAlbum.db" which has a nice function with mp3-Files. You enter the target-directory of the mp3-File and press the button <PLAY>, and the mp3-File will be played on the standart-mp3-Player installed on the machine. That's exactly what i search, but.....
...expandet on Client/Server-structure, only my local-files at my local disk can be played.
My goal is, to have those PDF-files stored central on the server, that will be on the internet. So by entering a new record, a PDF-File has to be uploadet, and by searching a record and a click on <OPEN> the pdf-file has to be downloaded from the server and shown in Adobe Acrobat.

An 'easier' option, but requests much more work could be:
1.) upload PDF's before recording new data into server (for example with ftp)
2.) data entry
3.) before starting the database, download the new pdf's from the server on a fixed local folder
4.) in search mode by finding records and click on <OPEN> the local pdf-file will be opened.

The nice thing about this would be the data-reduntance (every user got all the files, and also the server got it). A disadvantage is the high danger of errors. Every user must have the same fixed directory, the files have to be uploaded manually (danger to forget), and so on..

An extension of this "easier" solution would be an automatization:
1.) Before Adding data: synchronization server-folder with local-folder with comparing the files and upload all the missing files to the server.
2.) Before Searching data: synchronization local-folder with server-folder with comparing the files and downloading the missing files to the client.

What should or can i do? Also the picture-function to display pictures in the database would solve my problem greatly, if it would be a 'button' and support (pdf-)files  Wink

Thank you for your great attention!
If there are any more questions, please ask me..

Hope there's a nice solution for me, that won't be too hard to realize.

Thanks a lot

yours sincerely
Dirk

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: File implementation into a database?
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 3:38am
Print Post Print Post  
If your access to these PDF files on the internet is through HTTP, you can simply supply the URL to @ASynchShell and set the mime type to associate with your browser. That would cause your browser to locate that site and document and load it, thereby enabling your PDF reader to display it.

If your access is through FTP, you can script FTP to automatically (without user intervention) download that file using @Shell. Use a second @Shell or @ASynchShell to display the downloaded file in your PDF reader.

The two methods above could be implemented using a variation of the techniques in the example application you mentioned. Use different file associations to cause the appropriate applications to run.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged