Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) [Fixed] Version 2.0 Database Record Loss (Read 3130 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Re: Version 2.0 Database Record Loss
Reply #15 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 2:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Alec -

Nice to hear from you and I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

I was not aware that there was a "default" retrieve spec, simply because I never had any interest in one.  I think it is highly unlikely that I could have applied one even "inadvertently."  BUT, I too, thought of that and was hoping that the other records were still there and I just wasn't accessing them.  So, I looked at the file size and realized there was no way the records could be there.  Also, I sent the database immediately to Ray, so I'm confident that he would have discovered any "stupid mistake" I might have made if, indeed I made one.  Also, since I DO use a default SORT spec, I know and understand the "process" and think that I would have recognized it, as it relates to the default retrieve spec.

I don't remember what, precisely, I was doing in table view, but as memory serves me I was simply checking some information and may have changed a record or two.  In every case, I manually updated the "verified" field to reflect the current date (using control/f5 to enter the date).

Before ending the session, I switched (using the toggle table view option on the menu) back to form view.  I can't swear to it, but I believe that I also retrieved all the records (using a "universal" search with nothing in it) to be sure that all my records were there (in view of my earlier experience with lost records).

I then saved the database to my "backup" copy (which in this case was obviously a big mistake since I then had two databases with only 52 records.  I then exited out of Sesame.

I have NEVER used Save Record and Close Form or Shift-F10 in Sesame.

I do not recall whether I re-sorted the records in table view. I may have, but it's unlikely.

I only use Sesame on stand-alone computers, so a network was not involved.

I don't know how to tell "which exact version of Sesame 2.0.0 were you using (file creation date + time please)."  The "about Sesame" tab only tells me that it is version 2.0.0.  It is the copy of the program that was distributed at the conference.

I am going to make an extra "test" copy of the database to see whether I can replicate everything I did before this occurred.  I'm hoping I can and that I might then be able to provide information that will provide a "clue" as to what is happening.

I want to add, by the way, that there have been several other times that I have used table view without any problem.

Thanks for asking and let's hope I can "force" it to happen again, with my test file.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #16 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 11:56am
Print Post Print Post  
SpencerWulwick wrote on Aug 10th, 2007 at 2:13am:
Before ending the session, I switched (using the toggle table view option on the menu) back to form view.  I can't swear to it, but I believe that I also retrieved all the records (using a "universal" search with nothing in it) to be sure that all my records were there (in view of my earlier experience with lost records).

Thanks for the additional info, Spencer. We will also keep trying to force this to happen.

BTW, if you want all your records, you can press F10 on a blank Retrieve Spec, just like you could in Q&A.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #17 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 12:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Don Newlin wrote:
Quote:
500 Gigabyte External hard drives are selling for $160.00 at our local computer store

Whoa, nice price, I could use a couple of those.  What store is it?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #18 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 2:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Aug 10th, 2007 at 12:24pm:
Don Newlin wrote:
Quote:
500 Gigabyte External hard drives are selling for $160.00 at our local computer store

Whoa, nice price, I could use a couple of those.  What store is it?

Infinity - they are all over.

If you have a fry’s by you they have all sorts in all prices. The link below is to fry’s mail order, the store usually has a better stock and selection (at least by me) but don’t expect much from their employees.

http://shop3.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=externa...

As far as losing Data in 2.0,  I have not had any data loss and I use Table view extensively.

Spencer – I think to find the version info, other then using the sbasic @ReleaseVersion() command you can look at the Sesame.exe file with explorer and get the creation date and time Alec was looking for. Spencer, Please keep us posted   Smiley

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #19 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Today Spencer kindly cooperated with me in demonstrating to me online just how he works with his application.

Yes, Spencer has discovered a bug. There's a certain sequence of steps which results in data loss when you back up your application with a result set open in a form at the time after performing several other actions. You need to perform a search, obtain a result set, go into table view, back to form view then run another search without closing the form, then make a backup (using either File / Save As, or Application Utilities / Backup Application).

Clearly this is something that is going to be fixed. In the meantime, my advice is either ..

* If you want to back up your application, close all forms and use Backup Application from the Application Utilities menu,
.. or ..
* Close the application and use Windows Explorer or My Computer to back up the application. You need to copy both the .DB and the .DAT file.

We'll get this fixed and a new release uploaded just as soon as we have this bug fixed and the requisite testing completed.
This affects Sesame 2.0.0 and 2.0.1.  Sesame 1 (all versions) is not affected.

Thank you Spencer for finding this and bringing it to our attention. Thanks also for working with me today to discover the steps to replicate it. Sorry for the trouble it has caused you.

Alec
IP Logged

pineberry

No personal text

Reply #20 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 9:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Way to go Alec. Another example of the fantastic support from Lantica.

Harley

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #21 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 11:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks to Spencer and to Alec for their persistence and updates.   Smiley

I am sure that Spencer can now relax and know he has not been imagining things.   Roll Eyes

I have sent email to SANE members referencing this posting.
I think this problem is critical enough for Lantica to send a notice to all version 2 users, advising them of the potential problem and the clear workaround instructions that Alec has provided.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #22 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 2:02am
Print Post Print Post  
Bravo, Alec !!!!

I am so pleased that you found the source of the problem and happy that I could contribute to helping identify it.

I am 100% confident that it will be fixed quickly and expertly and that we can all breathe "a sign of relief" and go back to enjoying Sesame with no reservations.

Thanks, very much, for your responsiveness.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print