Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) [Fixed] Version 2.0 Database Record Loss (Read 3142 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

[Fixed] Version 2.0 Database Record Loss
Jul 13th, 2007 at 3:06am
Print Post Print Post  
This issue was fixed in 2.0.2

Hi -

Well, I'm sorry to say that one of my worst fears has come true.

I converted one of my two most precious databases to version 2.0.

The conversion went fine except for one field containing a numberic value.  I updated a few records while debating what to do about the missing data.  I decided the easiest thing to do was to re-input the numbers, which I did in table view.

I saved the database and then did a search on another record I wanted to update.  It wasn't there.  Much to my chagrin, there were only 264 records in my database.

The backup copy of my version 1.4 database contained 780 records.  I went back to using the older version for that particular database.  But I must say, as much as I love version 2.0, it has completely shaken my confidence.  The database in question is one that I use to track all of the owners and residents of my Condominium Association which consists of 384 units.  Collecting the data was a monumental job and I can't afford to lose any of it.

So, any thoughts?  Any suggestions?  What happens now?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2007 at 3:10pm by Hammer »  

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Re: Version 2.0 Database Record Loss
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 10:54am
Print Post Print Post  
My first thought: Export the data from the previous version to a file.  Convert (using a backup).  Mass remove all the data in the converted database.  Import the data from the file.

Just off the top of my head.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

I just converted the copy of the 1.1.4 files that you sent me and they converted just fine to 2.0 and all 780 records were there. I'm running the same version of Sesame as you are and I did not change anything about the files before translation.

Which number field do you see as being wrong?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 1:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

The number field that was wrong was the "Parking Space" field on the Vehicle Tab.

That is not what concerns me, however.  When I did the original conversion, all the records were there ... and they were there for a while.  

It was while I was using the database that the records disappeared.  I am not concerned about the conversion.  I'm concerned, now, with the fear that if I start using version 2.0 exclusively (which is certainly my objective), that this might happen again.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 1:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

There are still the correct number of records with data in the Parking Space element. Exporting out of both 1.1.4 and 2.0 confirms that they are the same records.

I have not heard of any cases of Records disappearing when using 2.0, until now that is. Are you sure you did not by accident click Mass Delete?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 2:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

There is absolutely no way I could have inadvertently selected mass delete.  In the first place, I very rarely use the "Results Commands" section of the menu and, certainly (if I had) the "warning" notice would have gotten my attention.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 3:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

I've just spent the last hour modifying records and adding records to your application and the only way I can get a record to "Disappear", is if I delete it either by using F3, Mass Delete, or one of the Delete Duplicates options.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 3:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I really appreciate your looking in to this so thoroughly.  I do want to assure you that I am 100 percent certain that I was nowhere near any delete functions on the command menu.  The only delete I performed was F3 on one record, in form view.

Once again, the only thing I did that was "unusual" for me was to make extensive additions to a field, while in table view.

I certainly don't mean to be an "alarmist" about this but you can imagine that I was shocked to have lost so many records - when I did nothing out of the ordinary.

I am using quite a few other databases in 2.0 and have not experienced any difficulties at all, so this is certainly an anomoly.

I am doing extensive data entry at present, so I have reverted to version 1.5, since this database is so critical to my functioning as a board member of my Condo Association.

Once the data entry returns to a "normal" level, I will again convert it to 2.0 and, for awhile, I will update both databases simultaneously, to ensure that my database is 100% "solid" in 2.0.  Certainly if I experience any further difficulty, I will let you know.

Thanks again.

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 6:04am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Let me tell you where I stand with this and the latest "development" that I need help with.

First, I have been using version 2.0 with several database and don't seem to be experiencing any problems ... and, of course, I love it!!!

Also, it occurred to me that since my computer was getting "old" (maybe a year or so  .. lol .. but heavily used ) that it might have some disk problems, that could be responsible for the data loss.  So, because I do so love Sesame 2.0, I went out and bought a new computer (with Windows Vista) solely (for now) so that I could install Sesame and simultaneously run 2.0 (on the new computer) and 1.5 (on the old one).  My intention was to run my most "precious" database and update both each time there was a change, to see if there are any problems on the new computer, with version 2.0.  I will continue to do this.

Unfortunately, there was a minor problem with the conversion and I would like advice on the best way to deal with it.

After conversion I checked the "local log" and I saw two errors.  Here's what I found for two records:

S_ENG 330471 - Warning:  Number of fields in record [2571](48) does not match record definition Form (51) Forcing to defined number.

The second error was identical except that it referred to record [1181].

It would seem to me that the records were "accepted" but that the fields were somehow adjusted.    

Also, I had received a message when I installed Sesame, that some files were "read only or missing" and that the program might be affected.  It appears to be working just fine.  Do I need to be concerned about this?

Finally, I get an error message that states:  S_ENG 510153 - FAILURE WHILE LOADING APPLICATION:  C:\Program Files\Sesame\Files\Sesame\data\samples\FirstLook.db.  I opened and "played with" the FirstLook.db and it appeared to work just fine.

Some guidance on resolving these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

By the way, Ray, I would appreciate it very much if you would change your "picture."  At my age (I'll be 70 on August 18th), that picture gets, scarier and scarier and scarier .................  (lol)
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2007 at 7:06am by SpencerWulwick »  

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 1:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
SpencerWulwick wrote on Jul 19th, 2007 at 6:04am:
S_ENG 330471 - Warning:  Number of fields in record [2571](48) does not match record definition Form (51) Forcing to defined number.

The second error was identical except that it referred to record [1181].

Those are the form records themseleves and the extra number of fields is for the default specs for the new Table, Quick Report, and Duplicate Spec. It is not an error to be concerned with as it is not an error at all, just a note that we write to the log. What problems did you have with the conversion?

Quote:
Also, I had received a message when I installed Sesame, that some files were "read only or missing" and that the program might be affected.  It appears to be working just fine.  Do I need to be concerned about this?

Can you give me more of a description as to where you saw this message? Was it in Sesame itself or in the installer program?

Quote:
Finally, I get an error message that states:  S_ENG 510153 - FAILURE WHILE LOADING APPLICATION:  C:\Program Files\Sesame\Files\Sesame\data\samples\FirstLook.db.  I opened and "played with" the FirstLook.db and it appeared to work just fine.

That error message shows up most often when opening a Ver 2 file in Ver 1.X.

Quote:
By the way, Ray, I would appreciate it very much if you would change your "picture."  At my age (I'll be 70 on August 18th), that picture gets, scarier and scarier and scarier .................  (lol)

He's a friendly little Reaper. Plus he know has a following as I learned at the conference, so he's here to stay.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 12:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I'm back with "bad" news and I think it is imperative that everyone using version 2.0 be aware of it.

All but 52 of the records - in the database I've been discussing - have been lost.  

This time I am more certain of the fact that it relates to table view and here's why.  When I lost records the first time, I had been working in table view; however, my selection of records was "random" i.e. I was looking for records with problems in a number field so that there was no "retrieve set" that I had any way of identifying.

This time, I know the precise records that I had retrieved and viewed (some of which I modified) while in table view.  There were 52 records that I had been working with.  Everything appeared ok, when I finished working with the database, so I saved it to my backup file and exited.

The next time I opened the database only the records I was working with in table view were there.  All of the others (approximately 747 of them) were gone.  There is obviously a definite "problem" with table view and I certainly hope that the cause will be discovered and fixed.

The first time the data loss occurred, I was working on my "old" computer using Windows XP.  (I had allowed for the possibility that there could have been a problem with the computer).  This time, I was working on a brand new computer using Windows Vista.  I have been using it for over two weeks and everything appeared fine.

I have sent Ray a copy of the database and am hoping that resolution will be coming quickly.

Fortunately, I still had a "recent" copy of the database (which is better than nothing) on my older computer. Some of the updates I did in the past few days, I will be able to identify so that I can update the older copy.  Some of the changes are not identifiable and my database will simply contain some incorrect data which I am hoping will not have any serious consequences.

Ray has told me that they use table view frequently and have no problems.  But it has happened to me twice now.  Surely, I can't be the only one who has had this problem and I encourage anyone else who has experienced anything similar to let Ray know.  The more input they have the more likely they can quickly identify the problem and get it corrected.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 9:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

I have spent several hours both today and yesterday trying to reproduce the Problem and I can not get Sesame to just "Lose" records as you are seeing.

So if Anybody else has ever seen this please by all means let me know and if you have steps or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 9:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
The possbility of this happening is scary. 

I have not seen this yet.

Is it possible to provide exact steps of the process so that the ability to duplicate is possible?
Can you duplcate this on demand?
Can you make a copy of the master file, open it and work on it and close it resulting in lost records?

If you can provide a coy of the database, I would be willing to try to duplicate it on a number of OS.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Don Newlin

No personal text

Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 9:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

I have 22 applications converted and running Version 2.0   (Windows clients, Linux Server) with multiple users.  We have not experienced anything similar to what you described.

We did have to change the coding on the line items of our invoices and purchase orders so the last line entered on the subform would always be commited prior to leaving the main form.  We have never lost a main form however (invoice or purchase order)

I have had one case where transactions on a subform were not displaying on the main form using relational linking.  The information wasn't lost and seemed to link properly after performing a mass update on the subform data.

One thing that did concern me was your loss of data.  To avoid this happening, I have set up a Command Button on all of our applications.  The only programming required is on field entry:

backupApplication()

The advantage of using this button  is that it always creates a new copy of your application at the date and time it was invoked, stored in its own folder with the name of the application.   I always backup my application prior to conversion.    Then as soon as the conversion to version 2 has been completed I start using the new backup command button to make sure all records have been backed up following conversion.  Every time someone does any significant data entry, I encourage them to use the backup button.   By storing multiple backup copies we are able to pinpoint when any data entry problems occur.
(You can also include the same coding to run everytime you open the application, or to run everytime prior to closing the application if you want to be sure backups are occurring.)

500 Gigabyte External hard drives are selling for $160.00 at our local computer store so the number of backups shouldn't be an issue.    

You should be able to feel secure using all the new features in version 2.0 without having to worry about losing any data.

Don Newlin

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 11:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer -

This is a long shot .. but is there any chance that, rather than having lost records, instead you have unwittingly applied a DEFAULT RETRIEVE SPEC, or that Sesame has done that without you knowing?
I take it you have sent the reduced app to tech support for them to check it out?
What actions were you performing in table view?
How did you end your session? (Did you close the form? - did you go back to form view? Did you exit directly from table view? Did you use a special command like Shift-F10 or the menu equivalent? Did you re-sort the records in table view? )
Was this run standalone or on a network?
The more information the better!
And .. which exact version of Sesame 2.0.0 were you using (file creation date + time please).
Thanks.

Alec
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print