Normal Topic Server Admin - any way to relate user with app? (Read 608 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Server Admin - any way to relate user with app?
Jul 27th, 2007 at 3:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
This was buried in another thread, and I'm still wondering about it so I thought I'd bump it and see what happens.

I asked:
Quote:
Also, related to Server Administration, now that I've moved everything to the network I'm going to have to be much more careful when I need to reconcile my apps.  This was not an issue when everything was on my own PC.  I see on the Notification interface that it tracks attached users and their IP Addreses, and in Unload Application it tracks which apps are open, but I can't find any way to see the information combined.  Is there some way to tell which user has which app open?  It would be nice to look at the screen, see that user MichelleT has Employee.db open, and then call her phone extension and say "get out, I need to reconcile".  I hope I'm just missing an interface that I haven't noticed, otherwise this seems like a basic necessity of server administration.

I tried using the server's Computer Management interface (it's a Windows 2000 server) but it does not show any files as being open in relation to Sesame.  That is, I start a client on my PC, connect to Sesame Server residing on the server, and open, say, my Employee.db application...yet Computer Management displays 0 files open.  Strange.  How is Sesame Server bypassing Windows 2000 recognition of open files?

TIA!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Server Admin - any way to relate user with app
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 4:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can see the list of users and you can see the list of open apps, but you can't match them up at this time. Submit a feature request and we'll see what we can do.

Infinity wrote on Jul 27th, 2007 at 3:37pm:
I tried using the server's Computer Management interface (it's a Windows 2000 server) but it does not show any files as being open in relation to Sesame.  That is, I start a client on my PC, connect to Sesame Server residing on the server, and open, say, my Employee.db application...yet Computer Management displays 0 files open.  Strange.  How is Sesame Server bypassing Windows 2000 recognition of open files?

We run in memory. We only have the files open when they are actually being written or read.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 5:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Scott,

This is just my opinion, but even if Sesame could match up what applications are in use by what users, how could you stop other people from opening that app in the meantime?

For Example. Say you see that MichelleT is in Employee.db, you call her up and ask her kindly to close Sesame so you can put in that new feature she has been bugging you for. She jumps up and down shouting for joy and closes Sesame. But in the short minute that it takes you to click on Reconcile, SarahB goes and opens Employee.db cause she needs to change a piece of data for an employee. Now you can't reconcile again.

So given that example is it going to make a world of difference to MichelleT if her changes go in after 5 o'clock that day when you can be 100% sure that no one can open those files.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
We run in memory. We only have the files open when they are actually being written or read.

That's cool, I like that.  I like the phrase "We run in memory", because that's the only place I run as well.
Quote:
This is just my opinion, but even if Sesame could match up what applications are in use by what users, how could you stop other people from opening that app in the meantime?

I wield absolute power, after many years of whips and chains.  If I tell them "Out" they stay out until I tell them "In".
MWAH HA HA HAAAAA!
Quote:
For Example. Say you see that MichelleT is in Employee.db, you call her up and ask her kindly to close Sesame so you can put in that new feature she has been bugging you for. She jumps up and down shouting for joy and closes Sesame. But in the short minute that it takes you to click on Reconcile, SarahB goes and opens Employee.db cause she needs to change a piece of data for an employee. Now you can't reconcile again.

Good point.  I'll pull the app out of the working folder, reconcile, then put it back.  One thing I currently have to do (as we've discussed in email) is use Server Admin to unload the Apps before I reconcile, even if all clients have disconnected, so if that continues I foresee a great deal of "hands-on" when it comes to reconciling, basically taking control of the entire program, and kicking everybody out until I'm finished. 
Quote:
So given that example is it going to make a world of difference to MichelleT if her changes go in after 5 o'clock that day when you can be 100% sure that no one can open those files.

Five o'clock is not quitting time here.  These folks work all hours, starting earlier than me and leaving much later.  The only time I can be relatively sure of non-interference is Saturday, and even that gets busy sometimes.  And I hope to quit working Saturdays once my project goes "live".  So your point is well taken.

In any case, I hope that the frequency of reconciles will diminish over time.  Is it too much to hope for that my project will some day be "finished"? Wink  Or am I dreaming?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged