Normal Topic Manipulating windows clipboard help wanted (Read 618 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Manipulating windows clipboard help wanted
Aug 8th, 2007 at 7:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a technique using Sbasic that allows me to put the contents of the windows clipboard into a variable or even a method other then ctrl v to get the windows clipboard contents into a text element?

I presently have a text element box that after a user copies text from another source the  user clicks on the text element, presses Ctrl v to place the data into the text element, the user then presses a Run command button that formats the data properly and then parses it and uses the data to create a new record in a tableview subform and then clears the text element.

My first choice would be to eliminate the need for the text element by having the command button write the clipboard to a variable and do all my parsing and placing from it.

If that’s not possible it would be nice to make it a single command button process and eliminate the need to enter the text element, press ctrl v and then press the run command. I would rather press the run command button and have it throwfocus to the text element write contents from clipboard and then process the data

Is either option possible without making a macro?

Any (un-published not yet mentioned or missed in my searchings) command available like @writeclipboardtoelement() ?

Thanks for all thoughts and suggestions.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Manipulating windows clipboard help wanted
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 1:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Robert...

Here is an untested thought....

Remember Menu Bar item added for Toggle Table View?
How about adding a menu bar item to cop an element to a variable, manipulate as needed to make a new variable.  Then make another element equal to that variable? 

May have three menu choices: 
1.  Make variable from current element. (vs. copy to clipboard) (Q&A-F11)
2.  Paste variable into current element. (vs. paste from clipboard) (Q&A F12)
3.  Copy current element, reformat if needed, and replace into current element. (Does 1 and 2 in same element)

Also may want to look at ClipMagic.   I purchased this some years ago, but it is now freeware.  More info at www.clipmagic.com ; I load with Windows so it is available for all of my programs to use.   (Does not create Sesame variables).

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 2:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Robert,

That sounds like a good idea. Submit it as a feature request and we'll see what we can do.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 2:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks.  Smiley

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More