Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) creating ANSI 837 file (Read 12293 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

creating ANSI 837 file
Aug 21st, 2007 at 3:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Has anyone created an ANSI 837 file , NSF File  or a hicfa 1500 print image file from data contained in there Sesame Database?  

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: creating ANSI 837 file
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 12:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
ANSI 837 looks like an ASCII EDI-type format. I haven't made this particular one, but I have made several other EDI formats. If it's ASCII, it's just a matter of putting it together.

There are a number of different kinds of NSF files. I'm not sure to which one you are referring.

The HICFA 1500 looks like an entire form with lines and boxes and such. You can make these with the PrintString family, but is that what you are actually after?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 2:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika,

As you know the HCFA 1500 is a medical billing form. In the past I had a Q&A win application that using a free form report printed the correct data on to the old HCFA 1500 form. As time went on and electronic billing became a necessity, they used some unique techniques to get the data to a clearing house for the billing.  The people using it have not been very receptive to switching away from Q&A. Recently they have seen what is capable with Sesame and I have started to win them over. They are starting to realize that many, many improvements could be had using Sesame and Sbasic but a big issue is billing capabilities. I am working on options for this.

The HCFA 1500 has been replaced by what is now commonly called the CMS 1500. It is an improved version of the old HCFA 1500. There are also many clearing houses that you can submit claim through that will validate accuracy and completeness of data and format for HIPPA compliance without the submitter incurring any costs. (The payer source incurs the cost) They will accept ANSI 837, NSF and print image files.

I figure there are a couple of options.

1.      find the structure to the ANSI 837 and figure out how to create it
2.      find the structure to the NSF file and figure out how to create it
3.      as you stated use Sbasics printing commands and layout the data as needed to print to the new CMS 1500 and then see if I can print that to a file in an acceptable print Image format
4.      find a small third party claims software program and see if I can pump the data from Sesame into it and then call the application from Sesame.

I was struggling with the best road to take so I figured I would ask on the forum if anyone has had experience with the different file formats. This forum and all the people on it have become my safety net and valued and trusted resource. As long as I know you all are out there to throw out bits of insight and knowledge, I feel capable of solving any task.

Thanks

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 3:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
You do seem to have quite a few choices. The best approach depends on a number of things, including the method you use to communicate the various possible formats to the receiver. ASCII formats like the ANSI option are generally easier to produce than complicated print layouts.

You may also want to find out of you need to produce the entire form for the print image, or just the data in the right positions. The printed forms are often printed with a special dropout ink that is designed not to be seen by the automated readers anyway.

Please let us know where we can be of help on this.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Robert

I still have a Q&A client that is outputting HCFA and CMS formats.  Some claims are still done manually using the HCFA and others are sent electronically using CMS formats.  I can provide you the Q&A File Print Specs with the coordinates for both forms if you need them.  I have not yet converted them to Sesame (may never happen), so I have not tried this in Sesame yet.

Let me know if this will help you.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 1:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

If it is not too difficult to lay your hands on the print specs that would be great!

I am beginning to think that my best option might be to create an alternate form made of  a scanned CMS 1500 form. I will create elements for every spot on the form and have Sbasic fill what it can, highlight what is needs and have the user complete the form.

I will need to create a print image file of the 1500 form (just element text not form)

Would I create the print image file with Sbasic print string commands but not send it to the printer?

Thanks

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 2:01am
Print Post Print Post  
I will see if I can contact client on Wed and get copy of both of the Print Specs. 

My thought was that those coordinates might be useful when writing the Print String.  I will probably have to send you the entire Q&A file so you can match the fields with the specs.  I will try to get with some records that you can use as an example. 

I would probably take the approach of scanning the form to use as a Sesame background, but would split it into Tabs to eliminate the scrolling.  Hmmm, I am thinking that this Q&A application also has all the programming to fill in as many fields as possible for Primary and Secondary billing purposes, very little data entry is needed since many XLUs from Patient/Doctors/Carriers/ProcCode/DiaCode databases.  Could be translated directly into Sesame.  Usually takes less than 2 mins to fill in a full form.

This will be Q&A 4.0, they never upgraded, is that OK? 
Do you still have version 4?  If not, I will upgrade to version 5 for you. 

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 6:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

I have all versions of  Q&A. (somewhere)

Thanks again for giving this some thought. If it works out you can get it, great, but if it is a hassle in any way don’t worry about it, I can live without it. I do not want to cause you any grief.

Thanks again

On a side note…

I know this is cheesy and not the most sophisticated method and I will use Sbasic print commands to accomplish my goal but if someone needed a fairly quick and easy method to print on pre-printed forms  and did not want to take the time to create an sbasic routine and just wanted a “what you see is what you get” solution, it would seem to me that if they just placed the elements on a blank form (probably an alternate form) (no labels or turn labels off when printing) and used the print form command with the no background selection checked. It would print to a pre-printed form, and by just adjusting the elements, they could have a print spec for the form without any programming knowledge. Even better would be to place the forms image in a static image box  (there would be some scaling issues) then place elements over the static image, set the static images visibility feature to not visible when printing and they would have a simple method to fill out forms.

I post this because it amazes me how many things Sesame does really easy, even if someone chooses to use the minimum amount of Sbasic.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have been using NSF version T0301, HIPAA compliant format for electronic claim submission. I make the file using Q&A. Not worked on it for Sesame yet. But ANSI 837 is the way to go, as NSF might not be accepted in the future.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 5:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bharat,

I agree that in the long run ANSI 837 is the way to go. I have been attempting to actually understand the ANSI 837 structure and have looked at some tools for creating ANSI 837 but it seems fairly complicated. I am figuring my best approach will be to slowly and methodically learn the 837 structure and create the file with Sbasic over time. But to get this application going now build the screens and information collection mechanism in Sesame that will be used to create the 837 later but for now generate a print Image file of the CMS 1500 using Sbasic print commands. The print image file is accepted by most clearing houses.

I find that the billing people seeing an actual HCFA form on the screen as the input form is the most comforting to the billers as opposed to just elements on tabs. Over the years I have seen tons of systems try both techniques but it seems like presenting the image is still the more common.

What do you think is the best way to present the screens to the biller?

Bharat, look on the bright side. With any luck I will have this all figured out, tested and thousands of claims submitted by the time your ready to convert yours. Hopefully you can just cut and paste snippets of mine into your app and be up and running quickly!  Smiley

Thanks,
Robert

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 6:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bob. I get the data from my visit record and do not print form 1500. But it should work either way once you have made the code. Thanks again.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 1:46am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Robert

Sorry for the delay ......you may be done by now!

Check your email.  I just sent you the Q&A version 4 file.

I replaced all SSN, NPI, Tax ID, etc. with dummy data.
I added you to security with full permissions.
I removed most of the 40,000 records, but left enough for you to play with.

Your solution is in the File/Print section, the first two specs.

Hope this is helpful.

Contact me off line if help is needed.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged