Normal Topic Support available this weekend? and Thanks (Read 698 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Support available this weekend? and Thanks
Aug 29th, 2007 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
My project is going live on Tuesday.  That's right, the day has arrived, I will be turning it over to my users.  And I am muchly afeared.

I'll be working on it over the weekend to import all the Q&A data into my shiny, sparkly Sesame databases.

Will anyone be around if I hit a landmine?

I want to thank everyone, Ray, Erika, Carl, Bob, Robert, Mark, Spencer, and so many others, for holding my hands and giving me guidance and TONS of code.  I literally could not have done it without you.

Wish me luck, everybody, the roller-coaster ride is about to begin.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Support available this weekend? and Thanks
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 9:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 8:26pm:
My project is going live on Tuesday.  That's right, the day has arrived, I will be turning it over to my users.  And I am muchly afeared.

I'll be working on it over the weekend to import all the Q&A data into my shiny, sparkly Sesame databases.

Will anyone be around if I hit a landmine?

A little more notice would have been good, especially for a holiday weekend, but I will try to look in on the Forum this weekend and see how you are doing.

Expectation management is important on a rollout. Dropping a large new system on a bunch of users and yelling "OK, GO!" is rarely a smooth event. You and they both need to keep in mind that, after n number of years using Q&A, they will be fighting pure mechanics for a couple of weeks. Their hands will automatically be trying to press keystrokes for menus that no longer exist. Everyone needs to remember that it takes a little while for any new system to get into its "groove".  Depending on how much testing you have done and how much hands-on time your users got, adjustments will certainly be needed.

Try not to create a situation where nobody can function if the new system does need an adjustment or some troubleshooting. If possible, keep the Q&A system live as a fallback during the transition period.

In general, don't panic.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 9:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
A little more notice would have been good, especially for a holiday weekend, but I will try to look in on the Forum this weekend and see how you are doing.

Thank you muchly Erika, I really appreciate it.
Quote:
Expectation management is important on a rollout. Dropping a large new system on a bunch of users and yelling "OK, GO!" is rarely a smooth event. You and they both need to keep in mind that, after n number of years using Q&A, they will be fighting pure mechanics for a couple of weeks. Their hands will automatically be trying to press keystrokes for menus that no longer exist. Everyone needs to remember that it takes a little while for any new system to get into its "groove".  Depending on how much testing you have done and how much hands-on time your users got, adjustments will certainly be needed.

One of my main problems is that my users are lazy.  They've had the Employee database available for two months now, during which time they could have played with it to their hearts content (and, yes, some have) to try to get the feel of the interface and ask me questions.

I could count the questions I've received on one hand.  I just have to shrug and figure they're OK with it, I don't know what else to do.  My boss hasn't even touched it and he's the one putting the pressure on to make the transition.  I expect a loud hue and cry come Tuesday morning.

Quote:
Try not to create a situation where nobody can function if the new system does need an adjustment or some troubleshooting. If possible, keep the Q&A system live as a fallback during the transition period.

Yes, that's the plan.

Quote:
In general, don't panic.

Thanks, and I'll be sure to bring a towel.   Wink

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 9:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Aug 29th, 2007 at 9:31pm:
One of my main problems is that my users are lazy.  They've had the Employee database available for two months now, during which time they could have played with it to their hearts content (and, yes, some have) to try to get the feel of the interface and ask me questions.

Yep, that's what they do. Yet, somehow, it's still all your fault.  Wink

Hence, the advice not to panic. Internalizing their freaking out doesn't help. Work the actual problems and the panic will take care of itself. Good luck!

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 11:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good luck Scott.

Unfortunately for me, I am still limping around and will probably be here for you vs. a long weekend.  You have my phone number and OK to call till about 11PM. 

But I suspect your weekend will be OK, it is Tuesday when you will be really tested.

So we will all be here on Tuesday to help you celebrate your successful implementation. Smiley

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension