Normal Topic Importing text into a money field (Read 956 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Importing text into a money field
Aug 31st, 2007 at 6:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have one field in Q&A that's supposed to contain a money value (C.O.D. Amount), but for some reason I made it a text field when I designed the dtf.  What did I know, I was young and stupid.

What would happen if I tried to import those records into Sesame?  Would Sesame bounce the entire record, or just ignore the data and not fill the field?

If I make the target field in Sesame into a text field and then (I assume) successfully import the data, what would happen to those records which contain stuff like "$241 per hr"?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Re: Importing text into a money field
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If I make the target field in Sesame into a text field and then (I assume) successfully import the data, what would happen to those records which contain stuff like "$241 per hr"?

A text field will store anything so the data would still display as "$241 per hr".

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 6:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm sorry, I didn't finish my thought/question, my error.  What I meant to say was, what if I make the field into a text field in Sesame, import the data (containing numbers and text) and then change the field type to Money?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 7:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
How about making a money field in Q&A.

Separate the numeric values from existing field and put into the new money field.  Now bring the new money field into Sesame, and leave the old field there.

Get money value by finding position of decimal in mixed field, and using @Left(MixedField,@Instr(MixedField,".")+2)

Use Mass Update to use that formula to populate the new money field.

------------------
Could do the same in Sesame if original element is bound to Text.  Do Mass Update to new Currency element , then delete the original text element.  You could also do @Right to capture the text portion and keep it in the text field for unit of measure.
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2007 at 9:19pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 9:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Aug 31st, 2007 at 6:41pm:
I'm sorry, I didn't finish my thought/question, my error.  What I meant to say was, what if I make the field into a text field in Sesame, import the data (containing numbers and text) and then change the field type to Money?

Since the values are not actually Money, the results for any given record will be unpredictable and depend on the exact content of the field. Bottom line: Nothing good. If you want the data to be Money, you need to clean it up. Even if Sesame managed to pick 241 out of the value you show, you would then not know if that was 241 per hour, per day, per barrel, etc.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 9:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yep yep yep, thank you.  I'm going to change the target element in Sesame to text, and let my users worry about the formatting when they type the value in.  The specific field I'm concerned with has no math performed on it, so what the hey.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 8:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
I decided to give the import a go without changing my money target field to text, mainly because I had written programming that used it in mathematical operations in several places and I wanted to retain that capability.

I am greatly pleased to say that Sesame blanked the field whenever the import data contained just text such as "call shop", and stripped the text off whenever the import data contained numbers and text.  True, data that once said "$240 per hour" now just says "$240", but since it's all historical data for reference only I can live with that.

Woo Hoo!  I may actually get some sleep this weekend!   Cheesy

Captain Infinity
IP Logged