Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) [Solved] Reconciling from C to F- Filesize doubles (Read 2143 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Reconciling from C to F - Filesize doubles
Reply #15 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 8:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 3rd, 2007 at 8:53pm:
At this point I'm not sure what I should send.  I have dozens of copies of different test versions.  The one with all 25,000 Workorders?  Or one of the smaller ones that still won't open?

I'll have Ray contact you and ask for what he thinks would be most useful.

Quote:
OK, will do.  What does "move the whole of your apps through the network" mean

It usually happens when a mapped hard drive is in conflict with the server shortcut settings. The OS lies to Sesame and tells it that the database files needs to be sent through the net several times when they are already where they need to be.

Quote:
and how can you tell if it is happening?

You can tell because things go slow, behave differently client/server as opposed to standalone and sometimes you get "Too many connections" errors when you don't think you should be.  Smiley

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #16 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 9:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks again, Erika.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #17 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 10:37am
Print Post Print Post  
AARRGGHH!!  Drive mapping.  DRIVE MAPPING!

Sesame Server was set to "Start in" F:\Sesame\Miara.  This was done a while ago when I had problems getting my XLookups to work.  For a while they were hard-coded, and since all the workstations see the server as F:\...  (Turns out the problem was actually with the pre-index xlookup .ini setting, which was buggy at the time.)

But it was never changed back to C:\Sesame\Miara when that problem was solved.  The server sees itself as C:\ of course, so telling it to start in F:\ (a drive map I had created to try to fix the earlier problem) was, as Erika says, moving the whole app across a network.

This morning I changed the -server's icon to start in C:\Sesame\Miara, copied my "bad" app (with all 25219 workorders, filesize 118,802 KB) to the Miara directory...and the app opened happy as a clam.  A very happy clam.

Let me repeat myself...AARRGGHH!!

If I get a chance, I plan to go back in time to yesterday morning and inform myself of this.  But I'll wait until after payday, so as to be sure I get my holiday pay first.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print