Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) [Solved] Reconciling from C to F- Filesize doubles (Read 2156 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

[Solved] Reconciling from C to F- Filesize doubles
Sep 2nd, 2007 at 7:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Solution: Increased filesize after a reconcile is normal. File reverts to normal size after the application is opened. The other issues in this thread were caused by redundant drive mappings.

I generally do my work in Designer on a dsr which resides on my workstation, my C drive; I find that without having to go across the network it works much snappier.  When done, I reconcile to the db that is on the fileserver, known to my workstation as the F drive.

Since importing my Q&A records, however, there have been problems.  The first few times I tried it I assumed, after about 20 minutes where the Progress bar stayed at 99%, that the program had hung.  Later, though, I let it take it's course.

After about 50 minutes the reconcile had completed.  The resulting db filesize had doubled, from about 45 meg to 95 meg.  And the db could not be opened.  It wasn't in use, it wasn't locked (I unlocked it anyway) I just got the error message that there was a failure to open.  I replaced the problem file with a backup copy of the db and reconciled again.  Same result: took forever, filesize doubled, file wouldn't open.

Since my .dsr contains all the records in my .db, I just deleted the problem files and used "save as new application" with Designer.  That resulted in a correctly sized db that opened nicely and contained all my records.

Any ideas on why this might be happening?  I'm just curious at this point; from now on I'll do all the work on my workstation, and then copy the results to the server.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2007 at 12:44pm by Hammer »  

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Re: Reconciling from C to F - Filesize doubles
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2007 at 8:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Followup weirdness:  I've used SDesigner on a post-import dsr on my C: drive.  Since I'm not sure if my latest reprogramming will work the way I want it to, instead of reconciling I used "Save As New Application" to create a db, also on my C drive.  I've opened the db and everything looks fine, but of course none of my lookups will work because all those files are on the F drive.

So I copied the db to the F drive.  Then I fired up Sesame as a client with my usual client icon, and tried to open the db.  Failure.  All the logs tell me is that it failed to open.  I unlocked it in case it was locked.  Failure.  Copied it back to the C drive, opened with a Sesame standalone, success.

In case it is my connection or something related to my own computer, I've tried opening it from the fileserver's own client.  That was 40 minutes ago.  The screen shows "working" in the upper right.  Hung?

While the server's client was flipping me the hourglass, I copied a known good pre-import db to the fileserver and tried to open it with my workstation's client icon.  After a few minutes I got the message "Failure to connect to server - too many clients".  That's a surprise.  I have a 10 user license, and this would only be the second connection to this server.

Back to the fileserver.  I tried to access the Sesame Server interface, but it was not responding, totally white.  I eventually used Task Manager to kill it.  The server's client then told me the server was no longer responding, so I shut it down too.  Started Sesame Server up again, and the client.  Tried to access the problem db with the server's client, but "It may be in use" - locked.  Unlocked it, tried again.  "Failure to open".

Used the server's client to open the pre-import db: success.    Used my workstation's client to open it: success.

So clearly there's a problem with my post-import db.  I get a Failure when I try to open the F drive copy with Sesame as a client, but Success when I open it on my C drive with Sesame as a standalone.  Could it be the filesize?  Pre-import filesize is 47,852 KB, post import filesize is 118,772 KB, is that unusually large?  Could it be bad data?  But why would it open with no problem with the standalone?  A problem with Sesame Server?  "Too many clients" has me worried.

Any help would be appreciated.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 12:15am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Scott

Are you sure you used version 2 of sunlock when you unlocked earlier?
Any messages in Server Log?  Local log file?

Do you want to send me a zip file for the db and dat files?  I can try them on Sever/Client on local and remote status.  I am using version 2.0.2 so my copies will be upgraded if older.  May also need name/pwd for Admin if changed.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 1:05am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Are you sure you used version 2 of sunlock when you unlocked earlier?
Any messages in Server Log?  Local log file?

Everything here is 2.0.2.  I used the client's Server Administration to unlock.  The only messages related to the failure is "Failed to open".

I plan to work with the good copy tomorrow, and retry the import, see if it happens again.  It's probably bad data, though I don't know why the standalone runtime would succeed, but the -client would fail.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 3:44am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Scott,

I have no suggestions about what’s going on with the db, but like Bob I can try it on my systems if needed.

If I can help in any way just let me know. We are here if you need us.  Smiley

Robert

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 11:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the support Bob, Robert, it is much appreciated.  I'll take you up on it if I haven't nailed this down by midday.

I plan to go on the assumption that corrupt data is the problem.  I have a working app that contains my Customer and Invoice records, and a problem app that contains all that plus my Workorder records.  So I'll start by stripping out Workorders that I think may be bad, see what happens.  If I can get it to work I'll do a brand new import using just those records that passed the test.

In any event, Customer and Invoice alone along with a working Workorder form that can create new Workorders, will get my users to a functional state.  I've done no testing as yet (today will be a loooong day) with the imported data, except for a few Invoice reports (found a few that crashed Sesame - for some reason the program doesn't like to perform mathematics on value elements that are not bound to any value type, who woulda thunk it?)

Anyhoo, I'll proceed on that assumption, and hope that the Lanticans will check in, as they may have additional suggestions.  Thanks again.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 1:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 2nd, 2007 at 7:33pm:
The resulting db filesize had doubled, from about 45 meg to 95 meg.

That's normal. It will go back to the smaller size when you open it in runtime.

Three things come to mind:
1. Are you copying both the db AND the dat files to the server from your workstation?
2. Are you sure you are working with the same exact revision of Sesame on the server and your workstation?
3. Are you making sure that the application you are working on, is not still loaded in Sesame Server when you copy the files from the workstation to the server machine?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 1:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 3rd, 2007 at 11:24am:
Anyhoo, I'll proceed on that assumption, and hope that the Lanticans will check in, as they may have additional suggestions.  Thanks again.

We've been here, Scott, but you're getting good advice from the folks, so we didn't want to muddy the waters. You've got a lot of configurations and files going back and forth. It's likely that, at some point, you weren't where you thought you were.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 3:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Three things come to mind:
1. Are you copying both the db AND the dat files to the server from your workstation?
2. Are you sure you are working with the same exact revision of Sesame on the server and your workstation?
3. Are you making sure that the application you are working on, is not still loaded in Sesame Server when you copy the files from the workstation to the server machine?

Yes to all three questions.  I have been very careful.

Here's an update:

The problem started after I imported my Workorders from Q&A, 25,219 records.

Here's what I've tested, and the results:

Remove all Workorder records from Sesame app (-25,219 records):  File opens.
Remove just the COD records (in case the import from text to money wasn't as clean as I thought), leaving all others (-531 records):  File will not open.
Remove all COD's and all records prior to 2007 creation date (-23,536 records) : File opens.
Remove all COD's and all records prior to 2006 (-21,856 records): File opens.
Remove all COD's and all records prior to 2005 (-20,006 records): File opens.

That's where I am at the moment, still working backwards trying to see how much data can be retained and still have the file open.

One thing I should mention: after I copy the edited file to the server and try to open it with Sesame client, it takes just a few seconds for the "Loading" process to complete, but about 40 minutes for the "Saving" process to complete.  Not sure what that means.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 3:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 3rd, 2007 at 3:16pm:
[quote]One thing I should mention: after I copy the edited file to the server and try to open it with Sesame client, it takes just a few seconds for the "Loading" process to complete, but about 40 minutes for the "Saving" process to complete.  Not sure what that means.

Usually it means that either you are bouncing the file through the network several times due to file sharing or that some piece of anti-spy/mal/ad/virus-ware is examining each bit as it goes by.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 4:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Update:

Removing all COD's and Workorder records before 1-1-2004 (-18345 records): file opens.

Removing all COD's and records before 1-1-2003 (-16698 records): file does not open.

Both happily open using Sesame as a standalone, it's when I try with Sesame as a -client that I have problems.

I'm going to start chopping away at 2003's workorders, see if I can narrow it down further.

Is there a file size limitation for Sesame?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 4:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Usually it means that either you are bouncing the file through the network several times due to file sharing or that some piece of anti-spy/mal/ad/virus-ware is examining each bit as it goes by.

Thanks.  I've turned off the AV on my workstation and the server; the process is moving noticeably faster now.

The problem lies somewhere between 6-1-2003 and 9-1-2003.  The file with Workorders from 6-1-2003 to present will not open.  The file with records between 9-1-2003 to present will.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 5:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
August 1, 2003 is about as close as I can narrow it down and retain my sanity.  My app can contain Workorders dating from 8-1-2003 to present (7021 records) and successfully open as a client.  That's a loss of 18,030 records from my Q&A database.  In the hopes that the problem was in the preceding months, I removed June and July 2003 from the master copy and tried opening it on the server, with no luck.

The filesizes of the successful app are:
DAT 65142 KB
DB  4968 KB

I'm going to work with this going forward, and try some imports of the missing records somewhere down the line.  My main fear now is that as we add new records I'll reach some critical threshold after which it will no longer open again.

I still have no idea why all my files open with Sesame standalone, but some fail with Sesame -client.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 6:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 3rd, 2007 at 5:38pm:
August 1, 2003 is about as close as I can narrow it down and retain my sanity.  My app can contain Workorders dating from 8-1-2003 to present (7021 records) and successfully open as a client.  That's a loss of 18,030 records from my Q&A database.  In the hopes that the problem was in the preceding months, I removed June and July 2003 from the master copy and tried opening it on the server, with no luck.

Scott,

I don't think you are hitting a file size limit. We are doing some stress-testing right now on an app that is over 300MB. It makes no sense that the file opens standalone, but not client-server unless there is some sort of resource limit being imposed by your network. Can you send it into Support so that Ray can see if he can open it?

At any rate, I strongly recommend you get with Ray tomorrow and have him check out your configuration. It still sounds like there is some file sharing in the mix. You should not be needing to move the whole of your apps through your network if your client-server environment is set up properly.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2007 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I don't think you are hitting a file size limit. We are doing some stress-testing right now on an app that is over 300MB. It makes no sense that the file opens standalone, but not client-server unless there is some sort of resource limit being imposed by your network. Can you send it into Support so that Ray can see if he can open it?

At this point I'm not sure what I should send.  I have dozens of copies of different test versions.  The one with all 25,000 Workorders?  Or one of the smaller ones that still won't open?

Quote:
At any rate, I strongly recommend you get with Ray tomorrow and have him check out your configuration. It still sounds like there is some file sharing in the mix. You should not be needing to move the whole of your apps through your network if your client-server environment is set up properly.

OK, will do.  What does "move the whole of your apps through the network" mean, and how can you tell if it is happening?

Thanks for your help, Erika.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print