Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Good Morning Scott (Infinity) (Read 1039 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Good Morning Scott (Infinity)
Sep 4th, 2007 at 3:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Good Morning Scott,

Congratulations on getting everything written and ready to go live.

Just wanted to wish you Luck with the cut over today. I know everyone here is pulling for you and are confident you have everything under control. We look forward to hearing all about the trials and tribulations of your day. 

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Re: Good Morning Scott (Infinity)
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 10:44am
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you Robert!

See my post here for some very good news: http://www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1188761630/0#17

As for "everything under control"... well, no one else has fired up the app yet, so things are quiet here.  I expect the noise level to rise significantly around 8:00 when the Dispatchers punch in and have to make Workorders RIGHTNOWTHISINSTANTDAGNABBIT! to get the Riggers on the road.

Thanks again for your support, and thanks to everyone who has helped me get this thing off the ground.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've found 3 bugs already this morning, and have to do some re-programming.

Smiley

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 12:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
What Robert said ^^^. We're rooting for you!

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika!

Well, I'm wrapping up the first day.  I am beat!  I only had two users powering it today, my Rigging and Trucking dispatchers.  The boss and the secretary took a few tentative dips.  Everyone is a bit wary because of the learning curve.

My Rigging dispatcher loves it, my Trucking dispatcher hates it.  But she's been generally cranky about everything today so I've taken her criticisms with a grain of salt.

We discovered a whole bunch of bugs right off the bat, but I think I've squashed them (I'll know for sure after I reconcile.)  There have been a handful of design changes requested, and I'll get around to them in due time (the one that has to go into effect RIGHT AWAY is a button to clear the Retrieve Spec, because the F3 key is just one too many keys for my boss to remember; he's already pushed to his limit with F7 and F10.  I pointed out that he could click on the Clear Form item on the command tree but he was unimpressed; he doesn't want to have to read either.  Sheesh.)

On the whole I'm pretty happy with how everything went.  A bunch of Workorders were created and printed, a bunch of Invoices were created and printed, today's incoming payments were posted and the reports printed, nobody crashed, and there were only a handful of "What the hell" cries floating through the air.  One occurred when my Rigging dispatcher accidentally put the letter R into the Workorder Number lookup field, which is a number element.  Sesame announced that it was converting it to 0, which resulted in a cascade of Writeln error messages when the lookup failed, and the entire form, which fills with lookup values, blanked.  Things were a bit tense for a few moments; error messages scare people, as does seeing all your data disappear before your eyes.

My only real problem was the printer issue I mentioned in another thread.  Also, now that my app is filled to the brim with Q&A data, some of the Lookups take longer than I'm used to seeing (and I had one complaint "this is slower than Q&A"  Embarrassed ).  I'll have to look into Preindexing again.

So that's the report from the field.  Cheerio!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sounds like a success story overall.

I have not interrupted today, to allow you the full day of pleasure.

Congratulations Scott, the pending issues all sound like minor things for you to correct.
Just make sure you are now doing backups, at least daily, on all of your real time Sesame applications and designs.  Don't want to lose all of that new input.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:27pm:
My only real problem was the printer issue I mentioned in another thread.  Also, now that my app is filled to the brim with Q&A data, some of the Lookups take longer than I'm used to seeing (and I had one complaint "this is slower than Q&A"  Embarrassed ).  I'll have to look into Preindexing again.

Make sure you are not doing more XLookups than you need. Commands like @XLookupSourceList can be real time savers.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #6 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bob!

We have an automated backup system that performs a backup to an external drive nightly.  I usually make file copies of everything as I am working with them, as well.  Is it possible to do a file copy of a Sesame database while it is in use by others?

I'll be in early tomorrow before the dispatchers get in, to reconcile my dsr changes, and I'll be making a copy to my hard drive at that time.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #7 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 10:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:27pm:
My only real problem was the printer issue I mentioned in another thread.  Also, now that my app is filled to the brim with Q&A data, some of the Lookups take longer than I'm used to seeing (and I had one complaint "this is slower than "Q&A" ).  I'll have to look into Preindexing again.

So that's the report from the field.  Cheerio!

Excellent News!

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #8 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 3:27am
Print Post Print Post  
Congratulations on your startup. With all the great support here - did you have any doubts?

I love this site - feels like a "family".

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #9 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 11:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:40pm:
Is it possible to do a file copy of a Sesame database while it is in use by others?

Yes indeed. You can, at any time, select File Save As from a client and make a backup copy of the whole app even when other users are using it.

Alec
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2007 at 12:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Alec!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged