Normal Topic Running as a Service (Read 472 times)
NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Running as a Service
Sep 4th, 2007 at 4:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Our IT guy switched servers and is having a little trouble accessing Sesame (unsure exactly what the issues are). We're also finally getting to switch over to 1.1.5.

Question: can we run Sesame as a Service? If so, what do we need to know/do to run on a Windows 2003 Server?

Thanks for any help with this. I'm going into the plant at 2:00 CDT to work on this, so a quick response would be appreciated.

Fred

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Running as a Service
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 4:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Fred,

For troubleshooting the connection troubles that you are having, you will want to be running Sesame Server as a normal application. This way you can verify that it is truly running and check when each client connects. After you have the troubles fixed, then switch it to run as a service.

To run it as a Service you can either use FireDaemon or Windows Task Scheduler. Instructions for both can be found in the thread below. http://www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1156262490

FireDaemon allows for easier restarting of the Sesame Server Service while the Windows Task Scheduler requires a reboot of the system. Other than that they are very similar.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 4:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ray. As usual, fast and very helpful!

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 3:43am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray,

As you know, our IT, Rob, called you a couple of times with follow-up questions on this. I have MANY times told him about the OUTSTANDING support from y'all at Lantica. (especially on the weekends, which is when I work, and no one else does, except you guys, and gals, Erika). He got to witness this first hand today. He has dealt with MANY software companies but has NEVER had the response like he got today. Firstly, he wasn't asked a lot of "red tape" questions: Do you have a service contract, etc. You just asked - what is your problem and how can I help? And then DID in a matter of minutes. We're up and running well and have decided not to go with the Service idea - thanks to your input. We'll go with a .bat file that will restart when the server goes down.

Anyway, just want to say "Thank you" for the great support and for helping me prove what I've been telling him and all of our bosses -- YOU CAN'T BEAT LANTICA FOR SERVICE AND SUPPORT!! (Greases the skids for upgrade to 2.0). Roll Eyes

Regards,
Fred

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 6:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Fred,

ah so Rob is your IT guy, got it. Glad I could help him out with the problems he was having, and I'm also glad to hear that you guys are up and running.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged