Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) ODBC Sesame V 1.15 (Read 1778 times)
drastixnz

A Newbie....

ODBC Sesame V 1.15
Sep 11th, 2007 at 9:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quick question, Honest

Can you use ODBC to import data into sesame, if so point in the right place.

Regards

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: ODBC Sesame V 1.15
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 10:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
No, the ODBC driver is read-only. You can use Import or File I/O.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 10:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi All,

I have a Access Database that I am wanting to read some information from and then import it into my Sesame form, can I use Sesame ODBC to read the access database, and then have some code that will import from that into sesame

IP Logged

davcom-ewr

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 10:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika, are you saying that Sesames ODBC functionality is limited to other programs being able to read Sesames data only and that Sesame is not capable of issuing ODBC commands ? What alternatives do we have to be able to at least read Access database fields ?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 11:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
To read from other programs, like Access, export from the external program, then import into Sesame.

With programs like mySQL that support standard i/o, Sesame 2.0 can interact directly with these programs using SBasic commands like CreateAProcess.

- Hammer
IP Logged

davcom-ewr

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 11:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika.

Since we are limited to working with an Access database it looks like the old Export/Import routine for us on a daily basis now !
Have you encountered this scenario much before - wanting to import regularly from an Access database (and I mean several times a day to make sure we're working in Sesame with current data) ?

Do you have any suggestions to facilitate a "single button" approach from within Sesame itself to perform the export routine within Access and Import into Sesame ? Things like only importing changed data not the whole exported file again? ie. reducing what is imported as much as how often the import is done. We work in a window of about 3-6 months of "active" data but the database goes back to the start of the business many years ago ! Only rarely do we require access to the actual jobs noted in the Access db after a year (these are separate files that the database refers to and are archived out after 13 months).

We have set up the importing already and have the required fields mapped but reducing this to a simple function that a user can perform would be important to avoid costly mistakes or delays in working with the right data. New jobs (around 8-15 a day) are added and are actively updated in both the Access db and Sesame db significantly for at least a 3-4 week period then it dies back to almost nothing.

Since the Sesame db is a tracking database that tracks whats in the Access db, timely information is vital !
Over time, the Access db will be done away with but we cannot do this for the foreseeable future at least.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 12:06am
Print Post Print Post  
This is doable, but I need more details. Especially your comment that jobs are updated both in Access and also in Sesame.

Do we need to reconcile changes to Access records with existing Sesame records as opposed to an import which creates a new record?

Which version of Access?

Which version of Sesame?

Why are you so locked into Access?

What is the task you are trying to perform with all this moving of data?

Can you add programming to the Access db?

Sorry for all the questions, but it sounds like something pretty complex is going on and a clear picture of point A and point B is important before I send you off in any particular direction.

- Hammer
IP Logged

davcom-ewr

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 1:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Absolutely !

The Access db contains information about building plans, quantities of materials, etc. It is also part of a franchise and we do not have direct access to their programmers and for what we are working towards, shouldn't need to.

The Sesame db is intended to track the whereabouts of any plan we have received, both within the current premises, and other locations round the country and oversea's and to show what stage of completion they are at. This is something that the Access db simply does not do. It only records Job Details and doesn't "track" where they are both location or stage of processing-wise.

The "updating" within the Access db is firstly to log the job in, then to do with the quantities of materials as they are imported from a sub-program a few days later, then modified if necessary before being provided to the client. (Job is logged in, then worked on using a separate program AND separate database, then that result is exported from the sub-program and imported back into the Access db for corrections and production of the final list for the client).

The Access database (unfortunately ?) is a legacy program that is still at the core of the business and auto-generates the Job Number which then needs to be imported into Sesame so that tracking of plan stages, which person, and which location, can begin, using a common number.

There are a few items of data to be imported along with the all-important Job Number, such as Merchant Name, Builders Name, Address of Building to be constructed, Name of Job and Merchants Request Number. Theres a few other fields as well. Because the Access database is what produces the Materials List, any changes to say spelling of the Merchants Name or changing the name of the job must be done in Access so the printed/emailed/faxed list back to the client contains the most relevant data. Thats a given.

Since we do not have write access to Access, we're looking at an Import both on a regular basis (say every hour?) and an ad-hoc when we know there have been changes to the Access db. We may structure our work a bit more for the changes being made to the Access database which is NOT updated every hour at present. There may be several Access db updates as a job, or 2 or 3, with changes is worked on, then nothing for an hour or two... or three Smiley

Hopefully this clarifies why we have some constraints re Access and Sesame.

We're using Sesame v1.1.5 and "looking" at going to v2 but would like to prove to the business' owner that purchasing Sesame was the right decision before he has to fork out more dosh ! This will be his first on-site Sesame application.

The Access db format is '97 which we very rarely get to alter. The original db's were provided on CD and unless specifically directed we are not permitted to change anything to do with them. We only have Office, with Access, on 1 PC in the business there is so little requirement for us to change anything in Access !

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 1:57am
Print Post Print Post  
This is a general statement about Sesame and Access97.

You will be able to use Acess 97 to export data using a button on a form.
You will be able to start Sesame, and save an Import Spec and/or Export Spec

Both Access97 and Sesame can be started to execute a macro immediately with no intervention.
The auto run macro can be programmed to act differently based on certain conditions, such as date/time/ file existence/ file dates, number of records, highest record value in an element, etc.

Sesame and Access can be scheduled to run at any time using scheduling routines like Task Manager that comes with Windows.

So, the possibility is there to have scheduled routines, run with no intervention, passing information back and forth between Sesame and Access97.  Part of the key to the process will be checking for proper conditions to run, validating that import/exports happened correctly before proceeding onto the next phase.

============
I have routines that run now for one of my customers that passes information from/to between Q&A and QuickBooks, using Access97 to do the import/export/file format conversions.  Runs every night, unattended.  This has not been converted to Sesame yet, but if can be done with Q&A, then Sesame will be no problem.

At another site, I have used ODBC in Access to get data from Sesame real time, and merge with data from FoxPro application to generate reports combining data from both applications.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

davcom-ewr

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 2:20am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bob. Sounds very promising. Working on it.....

On a side-note, I still run Q&A v4 myself and am interested in your A97 / Q&A routines to see how its done. I can't ever see myself giving up QnA somehow...

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 4:06am
Print Post Print Post  
The main routine using Q&A and Access is summarized here.

-----
Access has an ODBC connection to Qbooks that reads Vendor information.  Export data from Access into an Ascii file and import that data into Q&A Vendor ReadOnly database.  So all vendor info is maintained by Accntg Dept in QBooks.

But Q&A users generate Check Requests, use Vendor database for Payee pick list.  Requests are exported out as ascii file.  Access imports Ascii, changes Ascii format to Qbooks QIF format.  And Qbooks imports the QIF file exported by Access.  So Q&A users cannot request checks for Vendors not yet approved by Accounting because is not in the Vendors database.  Using picklist for vendors in Q&A guarantees vendor name will match Qbooks and not cause multiple vendor accounts with different spellings.  Also makes sure Tax ID and 1099 status are obtained before checks can be requested.

Check requests imported into Qbooks are actually imported as checks, need print authorization which is done by accounting.  So accountind does no data entry for checks, just does the authorizing by printing the checks.
-----

Send me an email and we can have some off line discussion about it.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 5:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Quick glance of long Access details ...... initial thought....
Depending on your environment, usage, and timing, timing may be a critical factor.

Add a boolean field for flaggins Export status.
Use ImmediateChange Event on selected fields to set a flag for Export. 
Now you can use the Export flag for the import.  Schedule the export routine to run hourly/daily, etc., but it will only run completely if any Export Flags are set.  Program to exit if no records found in Access.

Make an Access routine to capture  a result set o be exported, create export file from result set, reset the Export flags on those record s. 

Do not just Export records if flag is set, and then mark as exported, because a record could become marked to export before it actually happened, If that happened, you would be marking it as done when it actually was not exported.  The timing may be tight.

Import the data to Sesame.

Finally, make sure the Sesame elements holding the imported data are ReadOnly to prevent changes that did not happen in Access.  I make my ReadOnly elements with rounded corners where possible.  just a reminder to the users, they cannot change here.

Hope this made some sense.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 12:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
davcom-ewr wrote on Sep 12th, 2007 at 1:32am:
We only have Office, with Access, on 1 PC in the business there is so little requirement for us to change anything in Access !

Yes, but we do need to get it to give you the data.

Vertical apps like you describe are often heavily locked down. Since you are not able to add any functionality to the Access db, we need to work with whatever tools they left available. If they didn't leave any, we may have to get sneaky.  Smiley

Are you able to export data from your Access application?

Is there a field in the Access table that records when a record was last changed, so you can know which records you need to export?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 3:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you have no functionality with the Access database, can you use that as a backend to a new front end copy of Access where you can create the functionality you need to program, export, etc.? 

The same thing as if you had split the database initially with a backend of data and a front end of queries, forms, macros, reports, etc. 

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

SirKitry

No personal text

Reply #14 - Sep 13th, 2007 at 3:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Erika, we're exporting from Access into a CSV file, then mapping (selecting) just the fields that Sesame requires from that. We are not selectively exporting, but selectively importing. Feel its safer that way as we simply read the lot from a single table in 1 Access db and only grab what we need from the resulting CSV.

We're looking at what the Table in Access has in the way of relevant fields to what we're trying to do, to establish which fields are simply flag fields, but given that we didn't program it and it is a legacy app with NO information provided on what the fields' and tables' relationships are it's taking a while to establish which may be the "record changed" or "field changed" flags. The table(s) do not seem to use a consistent approach in grouping fields that are functionally related all together. We've found fields at the end of the table that relate to fields defined well prior ! In the developers defence I have to say the program & db structures grew hugely in their early days and some of the design is still lacking as a result. Hopefully there is a change flag somewhere that we can use !

Bob, Your idea of establishing another Access database of our own that we have full control over, has merit. I have had concerns that the Access db developers may at some stage change the structure of the table (again) and we'd need to change the export/import routine in Sesame to match but if we cater for those changes in the same application (Access), Sesame programming will never need to follow suit to be given data for its relevant fields. Plus running regular updates between Access db's (if we can find the right change flags to trigger on). However I'm not an Access programmer.

PS: If you're wondering about the changes in username it's because for my personal Sesame use at home I've had SirKitry for a while but I've just created and use davcom-ewr when at work.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print