Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) [No Issue] Sesame 1.1.5 and Hamachi v1.0.2.2 issue (Read 5041 times)
SirKitry

No personal text

[No Issue] Sesame 1.1.5 and Hamachi v1.0.2.2 issue
Sep 14th, 2007 at 12:25am
Print Post Print Post  
Testing indicates that there is no conflict between Sesame and Hamachi. OP is looking into other network configuration settings.

Is anyone else running Sesame v1.1.5 in server mode over a local network and also have Hamachi v1.0.2.2 running ?

We were having problems getting Sesame Client to talk to the Sesame Server on another PC (would not connect to server ever) and we followed all the Sesame instructions for checking the ports, specifying alternate ports, specifically instructing Windows (2003 Server in our case) to allocate specific ports for (Sesame) use and still no joy.

We were also running Hamachi v1.0.2.2 on both the Sesame Client and Sesame Server PC's and watching Active Ports to see which ports were listening or kicked into action when a call to the Sesame Server was made, and it showed that Hamachi !! was trying to handle the connecting between Sesame machines. Even if only 1 machine had Hamachi running we could not establish a Sesame connection.

When we stopped Hamachi on both the W2K3 Server and on the other PC, we had no trouble getting Sesame Client to talk to Sesame Server.

This is a big issue for us with remote access, as Hamachi is what allows us to have a simple RDP session to our work machines and we currently have to turn Hamachi off to allow Sesame to work !

Anyone else encountered this problem ?

Have not posted to the Hamachi Forum yet but will be doing so later today.
« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2007 at 1:30pm by Hammer »  

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Sesame v1.1.5 and Hamachi v1.0.2.2 issue
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 3:14am
Print Post Print Post  
Not familiar yet with Hamachi, but could it be sharing ports with Sesame?
I wonder what happens if you change the ports on the Sesame Server?  Remember to change them on the Client machines also.  Maybe just test with one Client to see if that works, if OK, then change others also.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SirKitry

No personal text

Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 7:30am
Print Post Print Post  
We've tried one method of "alternate ports" Bob (simply telling Sesame server and Client to use different ports but without telling W2K3 Server that the changed ports were for exclusive use) which didn't work, so we moved on to telling the W2K3 server that it was to allocate, for exclusive use, two ports for Sesame server. They were the standard 20000 and 20001.

We watched Active Ports (free program that I find quite useful) which shows all ports currently in use, whether listening, active, whatever, and at the moment we tried to access Sesame server, a single Hamachi port entry showed on 20000 for about 8-10 seconds, on the ports we had allocated for exclusive Sesame use, before disappearing and a bit later we would get the "failed to connect to server" message from Sesame on the client PC. Ports 20000 & 20001 were not showing as either "waiting" or "established connection" prior to attempting connection to the Sesame server either.

Our next step will be to change the ports from 20000/20001 to something higher, again mark them for exclusive use, and see whether Hamachi will pick up on those ports as well.

Haven't had the email response back from Hamachi Forums confirming my registration yet so have been unable to post to that forum. Haven't needed to post to them before as any query I've had has been answered by searching their posts. Not this time.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 1:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just tossing out ideas here, again, not familiar with Hamachi.

Is there any type of permissions that may be associated with the Hamachi ports? 
Any type of NAT type of redirection, etc?. Any type of firewall type restrictions?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2007 at 1:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello SirKitry,

Open Network Connections
Click the Advanced toolbar at the top
Go to Advanced Settings
What order do the connections appear listed in the connections box?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SirKitry

No personal text

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2007 at 1:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,
Pity I didn't see your post earlier. Been in at work but having to set up new PC's for new workers coming in Monday. Already been growled at for not getting away from work early enough to get my wife to the do we'd been invited to some weeks earlier, on time, and yet had had no time to look further into this issue today.
I have a full day of driving steam trains tomorrow (Sunday) but will drop in to work Sunday evening and do some more research and reply to your question.

I would have done it now from home, but..... Hamachi is offline !  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

davcom-ewr

Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2007 at 8:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

The order of connections (on the W2K3 Server) is :

Server Local Area Connection
Network Connection
Hamachi
(Remote Access Connections)

Listed on 4 lines exactly as shown, on the "Adapters and Bindings" tab.

However, checked on the client PC as well and the order was :

Hamachi
Local Area Connection
(Remote Access Connections)

I have changed the order so that Local Area Connections is at the top and Hamachi is the next one down. Currently able to access Sesame from Client PC but not always 100%. About to reboot and will test access again.

Bob,

Checked the firewall situation re Windows Firewall and yes; the Windows Firewall is On, on the client PC. Some of the Exceptions entries are greyed out as they are under a Group Policy set by the login to the Domain and I cannot change those (locally, on the client PC that is. I can go to the permissions as set by GP on the W2K3 Server and alter if nec). Some of the entries in Exceptions are fully configurable on the client PC (as I have Administrator level access against my personal userid for the Domain. I rarely log in as Administrator itself on the client PC.)

IP Logged

SirKitry

No personal text

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2007 at 9:50am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,
After rebooting both the W2K3 Server and client PC, and having Hamachi running on both, tried to start Sesame on client PC. No go. Selectively shut down Hamachi program, then adapter on client PC, then Hamachi  program, adapter and service on W2K3 Server and at each stage tried to start Sesame on client PC with no success. Previously after getting to this stage we'd be running Sesame from the client PC but not any longer !

There is obviously another issue at work here as well.

We'll keep plugging away at it and provide the solution when we find out.

IP Logged

oldfogey

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 7:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'd love to be notified if you find any basic incompatibility between hamachi and sesame.  I've been hired by a client to port their ancient Q&A dos flat database to something new and Sesame looks to be it.  Otherwise, the amount of custom programming to migrate their data would be quite ridiculous.  I was planning on using Hamachi and its wonderful and easy encryption to allow remote access to the Sesame server.  If there's an incompatibility (they'll be running Sesame 2 not 1.1) I'd like to know sooner rather than later. 

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 8:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
oldfogey wrote on Sep 20th, 2007 at 7:28pm:
I'd love to be notified if you find any basic incompatibility between hamachi and sesame.  I've been hired by a client to port their ancient Q&A dos flat database to something new and Sesame looks to be it.

If you are dong Q&A-> Sesame conversions, you might want to sign up as a Sesame Professional. We may be able to send projects your way.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

drastixnz

A Newbie....

Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2007 at 9:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
The issues, with Hamachi for us anyway is that Sesame server an client, uses the "network" adapter of hamachi not the local Network card, if you disable Hamachi and the adapter of Hamachi and then start the server version of Sesame it looks at the right network adapter for the client software also you have to disable Hamachi on the pc using the client software.

Once you have connected Sesame from the client to the server you can re enable Hamachi.

IP Logged

davcom-ewr

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 3:31am
Print Post Print Post  
We've not come up with an answer yet.  Sad Does anyone out there use [LogMeIn's] Hamachi and are able to advise if they have or had any issues that impact Sesame Server and Client ? We are using the free version of Hamachi, not the paid. Has anyone at Lantica used Hamachi with Sesame v1.1.5a ?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2007 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
davcom-ewr wrote on Sep 21st, 2007 at 3:31am:
We are using the free version of Hamachi, not the paid. Has anyone at Lantica used Hamachi with Sesame v1.1.5a ?

I downloaded Hamachi 1.0.2.2 and I'm running it on two computers here. Hamachi is active, running and connected to a network and Sesame(1.1.5A) Server and Client both run fine on both computers with Hamachi running as well. I can even connect a third computer that is not running Hamachi to the Sesame Servers running on both machines.

The order of Network connections on both machines is

Local Area Connection
Hamachi
[Remote Access Connections]

I tried putting Hamachi first on both lists but it did not affect Sesame.

Can you ping the server computer from the client computer using a command line? What results do you get with Hamachi running and with Hamachi turned off?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

davcom-ewr

Reply #13 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 7:09am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for testing Ray.

As per the posts about disabling Hamachi on both client & server PC's and still not getting through and at other times with Hamachi running we have sometimes got through, it does point to something other than Hamachi being the cause.

Have to say that while we have not pinpointed the exact cause of our previously failing to connect, today, with Hamachi running on both client and server we have been able to get through to the server each and every time we tried. We think that partly the drive mapping between client PC and W2K3 Server, and some of the User security settings in the local domain were causing problems.

Thanks for taking the time to run Hamachi and check. Much appreciated.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #14 - Sep 24th, 2007 at 2:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
davcom-ewr wrote on Sep 24th, 2007 at 7:09am:
Thanks for taking the time to run Hamachi and check. Much appreciated.

No problem. If you get the situation again where you cannot connect a Sesame client to the Sesame Server that is running, One thing you can do is see if you can Ping the Client from the Server and see if you can ping the Server from the Client.

If you get a message saying that the host could not be found and to check the name and try again, then it might be a hardware problem, or possibly a Name Services problem. If you get a request timed out message then maybe have a look at firewalls and check if the IP address that it is trying to ping is the right one for the computer that you are trying to ping. Since Sesame communicates over TCP/IP, using Ping can help track down what the problem is between the computers.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print