Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) CNet - Curious about review methods (Read 1782 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

CNet - Curious about review methods
Oct 8th, 2007 at 6:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm curious about something. On CNet, we recently received two one-star reviews. One person feels that because Inside Sesame offers third-party add-ins, that Sesame must be incapable of performing tasks. The other seems to be angry because we are not Q&A. In both cases, not only did these people give us a one-star rating but also insisted that the good ratings (some of which are from members of this Forum) are in some way falsified.

If you want to see what I'm talking about:
http://www.download.com/Sesame-Database-Manager/3000-2065_4-10730681.html

This got me wondering. How closely do you read ratings when making decisions? Do you just look at the numbers or do you actually look closely what the person is saying and their reasoning?  I mean, I've seen Amazon reviews where people are slamming the item being reviewed because the merchant they ordered from shipped slowly.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Re: CNet - Curious about review methods
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
I totally read the reviews, and use common sense.  Wink

IP Logged

MP

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 6:03pm:
How closely do you read ratings when making decisions?

Very, although if the aggregate rating is one or two stars, I'd be unlikely to even try to look for the positive reviews.  A good review needs to have a lot of specific details.

As for the reviews themselves on CNET, none of them are particularly useful to an IT professional.  A product like Sesame is deserving of a much more substantive analysis than what these short reviews offer.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
MP wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:31pm:
As for the reviews themselves on CNET, none of them are particularly useful to an IT professional.  A product like Sesame is deserving of a much more substantive analysis than what these short reviews offer.

I agree that the reviews (not just for software) tend to be less than useful. Very positive reviews are often non-specific. Very negative reviews are often mis-aimed or inaccurate. Few people go for the more moderate ratings. Because of this, anything less than stellar is considered by skimmers to be negative. As someone with a product, it's frustrating.

- Hammer
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 10:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:55pm:
MP wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 8:31pm:
As for the reviews themselves on CNET, none of them are particularly useful to an IT professional.  A product like Sesame is deserving of a much more substantive analysis than what these short reviews offer.

I agree that the reviews (not just for software) tend to be less than useful. Very positive reviews are often non-specific. Very negative reviews are often mis-aimed or inaccurate. Few people go for the more moderate ratings. Because of this, anything less than stellar is considered by skimmers to be negative. As someone with a product, it's frustrating.

I can understand your frustration.  As I've talked to people who use CNet, Download.com, etc., they admit to skimming A LOT.  From my reading of dozens of software reviews, I tend to look more in depth at editor reviews and take individual reviews with a pound of salt.  Unfortunately kiddo, you folks have to look at the sites that offer Sesame download trials and correct or clarify any misinformation that is posted regarding yuour product.  The good thing about the internet is that one can post anything.  The bad thing about the internet is that one can post anything.   Sad

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 11:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I don't pay too much attention to reviews except those done by "professionals" in their field, in their industry publications.  These are more technically correct then reviews by new users.

I think that most on line reviews are done by people who are unhappy, and want to strike back.  Much of their disappointment is usually based on their ignorance at the time.  They did not read the documention, they did not have the right hardware, memory, etc.  Unfortunately, more customer calls are always for complaints/problems, not calls to say "Great Product!". 

So, most user reviews, in my opinon, will be negative.

What I do use, however, are the foriums like this.  I look at the number of posts of the users when they make editorial comments.  Long time users get more weight re their comments. 

All software has issues, many caused by user ignorance as noted above.  But what is important is how the manufacturers respond to the issues on the forum.  I look for timely and accurate responses.  I look for enhancements as a result of user requests.  I look for replies that are respectful of the user, does not consider any question dumb, etc.  Willingness to make remote connections for support, activity and resources around the clock, on weekends and holidays.  And complete and thorough electronic, searcheable documentation with cut/paste examples,

Hmm, I think I just described many of the attributes of the Sesame forum. 
I guess this must justify giving a serious look at Sesame as a product for consideration. Smiley

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 11:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yah. That's why I've been trying to mark thread status, reword subjects and pull buried solutions to the top of threads. I got tired of hearing about how somebody had decided that Sesame was broken because that ran their finger down the thread index and decided that Question=Bug.

I certainly understand people getting frustrated. No product is right for everybody. We are willing to spend a lot of time helping people with things that frustrate them. I just wish they wouldn't punish us for a few hours of frustration in a way that whacks our long term livelihood to a degree we really don't deserve.

Ah well. Nature of the software beast, I guess.  Sad

- Hammer
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 2:26am
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 11:42pm:
That's why I've been trying to mark thread status, reword subjects and pull buried solutions to the top of threads.

This is very helpful, btw. I almost always read the entire thread if it's new or current, but I know I will really appreciate the "bottom line" answer appearing in large red letters at the top of the thread, when I'm researching something in the future. I'm sure the final word right there at the top, will make it much faster to find the answer I'm searching for.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 6:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
I agree with most of what has been said.  Will add that when someone say Sesame is too difficult and they are going back to Access--well I know they are full of stupidity!  I have tried Access in the past and the new 2007 version and I can't deal with that product.  Sesame I can use, even if it is not perfect, far better then the other programs out there.  The support is fantastic.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 7:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I agree with most of what has been said.  Will add that when someone say Sesame is too difficult and they are going back to Access--well I know they are full of stupidity!  I have tried Access in the past and the new 2007 version and I can't deal with that product.  Sesame I can use, even if it is not perfect, far better then the other programs out there.  The support is fantastic.

I thought that one was especially strange in light of his desire to not learn a new programming language. I know SBasic isn't exactly the same as Q&A Basic, but it's a lot closer than VBA.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 7:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Looks to me that after every new release we have to start building a new set of reviews. Does this mean we've lost all those good reviews for Sesame 1.x? And does this apply to 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3 .. ?

Alec
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 8:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Alec wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 7:59pm:
Looks to me that after every new release we have to start building a new set of reviews. Does this mean we've lost all those good reviews for Sesame 1.x? And does this apply to 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3 .. ?

They are still there, but you have to click the All Reviews link to see them. The total rating still reflects all the reviews and votes. CNet keeps changing the interface so, any of this may change later.

- Hammer
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 10:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 7:12pm:
Quote:
I agree with most of what has been said.  Will add that when someone say Sesame is too difficult and they are going back to Access--well I know they are full of stupidity!  I have tried Access in the past and the new 2007 version and I can't deal with that product.  Sesame I can use, even if it is not perfect, far better then the other programs out there.  The support is fantastic.

I thought that one was especially strange in light of his desire to not learn a new programming language. I know SBasic isn't exactly the same as Q&A Basic, but it's a lot closer than VBA.

Your thoughts were charitable compared to mine... Lips Sealed

I have had to deal with some limitations when using Sesame...the limitations aren't within Sesame, but within myself.  When we used Q&A, we required no programming whatsoever; so programming was never an issue with us.  When Sesame arrived, we still not "need" programming to run our application, but with just a little programming, the database came alive.   Shocked Wink  There is little that Sesame won't do for me.  I've yet to see one thing that I want in my applications that can not be done through some programming and/or form designing.

The learning curve has been a bit steep and longer than I'd like.  I'm the only one working on it, so how quickly I get what I want designed into our applications is a product of how much time I'm allowed to work on it.

IMHO, I think at least half of what negatives I see regarding Sesame are "cultural"...people want something that, once installed on their computer, runs all by itself.  Some people forgot or never that we used to have to write our own batch files once upon a time.  I talk to people in their mid 40s who don't even know what DOS is or was.  Computer history should be mandatory.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 10:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
charliebrown wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 10:10pm:
IMHO, I think at least half of what negatives I see regarding Sesame are "cultural"...people want something that, once installed on their computer, runs all by itself.

Ah yes! The interface that consists of one big "CLICK HERE" button that magically does whatever you are thinking at the moment. I'd like that one too!  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 11:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Ah yes! The interface that consists of one big "CLICK HERE" button that magically does whatever you are thinking at the moment. I'd like that one too!

A single button is a minimum requirement for my boss.  What he really wants is voice actuation:
"Computer!"
"WORKING!"
"Give me a printout of last month's Invoices, sorted and subtotaled by customer name, and compare the grand total to last year's billing for the same period.  And a cup of tea, Earl Grey, hot!"

Actually, what he really wants is for the PC to read his mind.  Until that happens I guess he'll have to continue having his secretary write his emails for him (and me, too, when she's not in).

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print