Normal Topic Entering data on subform (Read 633 times)
charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Entering data on subform
Oct 17th, 2007 at 2:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm doing some redesigning of our main application for tracking inventory and repairs.  We have our inventory and repair databases merged, subform on our parent form showing repair records-also programming to give a repair total for equipment in search and update mode.  The parent/subform linking is relational.  When I've tried to change records on the subform when viewing the subform on the parent form, I've had some problems...same with adding new repair records when using both parent and subform together...very slow saving of entries mainly...sometimes a complete stop.

The linking is relational.  The subform is in table view. Any ideas or obvious errors on my part?
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Entering data on subform
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 4:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Charlie,

Are the DB and DAT files on the local system or are they on a mapped network drive? If they are on a mapped network drive that would explain why it is running slowly. I would try copying the files to the local hard drive if only just to test it and see if the problem goes away.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hello Charlie,

Are the DB and DAT files on the local system or are they on a mapped network drive? If they are on a mapped network drive that would explain why it is running slowly. I would try copying the files to the local hard drive if only just to test it and see if the problem goes away.

-Ray

Thanks Ray,

I'll do that later today and see how things react.  I'm relatively sure that some of the slow/freeze problems my coworker was having are due to storing DB and DAT files on a network drive without running client/server.  We hope to remedy THAT little annoyance soon.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 4:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just to give you an idea how much storing the files on a network drive can slow you down, I got a call yesterday from a user who could not backup the Sesame application they were using. They would enter a name, click save and then nothing would happen that they could see. They said they had let it run for 20 minutes and Sesame still said working. What it turned out to be is they were backing it up to a mapped network drive that was just another folder on the C drive. So all the data had to be passed through the network card to get to the hard drive. Changed it so they were backing up to the C drive and in less than three minutes(>200 mb files) the backup was done. So what would have been a roughly 50 minute backup(judging by file size and how much had been written in 20 minutes) was down to 3 because the mapped drive was removed from the equation.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2007 at 5:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Just to give you an idea how much storing the files on a network drive can slow you down, I got a call yesterday from a user who could not backup the Sesame application they were using. They would enter a name, click save and then nothing would happen that they could see. They said they had let it run for 20 minutes and Sesame still said working. What it turned out to be is they were backing it up to a mapped network drive that was just another folder on the C drive. So all the data had to be passed through the network card to get to the hard drive. Changed it so they were backing up to the C drive and in less than three minutes(>200 mb files) the backup was done. So what would have been a roughly 50 minute backup(judging by file size and how much had been written in 20 minutes) was down to 3 because the mapped drive was removed from the equation.

-Ray

YIKES!  That sounds all too familiar...very similar to what my coworker was experiencing.  I hope to have a resolution to that little problem before the week is out.  I'm still a little baffled as to why my comuter didn't behave that way.  The only slowing I've had was when I tried to enter data on the subform when I was viewing it on the parent form.  Hope to have that fixed soon also.

Thanks again Ray.

IP Logged

charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 1:11am
Print Post Print Post  
I think we have a winner here Ray...Running on my desktop with data stored in my Sesame/Data directory...I've been updating data on my subform, going to add mode and entering a few records...no problems.

Cool

IP Logged