Normal Topic The "problem" with Sesame (Read 964 times)
charliebrown
Members

Beware...novice at large

The "problem" with Sesame
Oct 20th, 2007 at 7:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
 Forgive my "manifesto" here...I'll try to refrain from ranting in the future...

The bottom line on Sesame from where I sit:  In 1996 I took Q&A and designed databases for my inventory, personnel records, payroll...all seperate stand-alone applications that kept all my info safe,  easy to access; reports easily printed for my bosses, etc.  Great stuff.  Seven-plus years ago, when I changed jobs within the same organization, I designed our inventory and repair databases - once again in Q&A.

Currently we have all of our records going back to 1988 in Sesame...and Q&A.  The difference is that I now have a relational database where, at a glance, we can view all of our inventory history, which pieces of equipment have been scrapped and replaced, all of the repair records on each piece of equipment, including the total of those repairs in a little "window" so we don't have the tedious taks of adding them up with a calculator...imagine the wear and tear on fingers if we had to push all of those calculator buttons! Shocked ...the stress would be unimaginable.

Instead of the realization of how much better this is than what we had with Q&A, I get "it's too hard to program all of the stuff I want; my computer keeps locking up; maybe we should come back to Sesame when they have all the "bugs" out of it..."  There's that insect again...

Now wait just a second...we had NO programming in Q&A...zero, zip, nada.  We didn't need it for our purposes.  All we needed, with Q&As limitations,  were a few basic report designs that would give us repair and inventory cost totals in specific instances; reports for all of the 75+ locations that we track equipment for.  
I recently had an epiphany when looking at this from a realistic perspective...there is nothing difficult about programming for anyone who has NEVER ATTEMPTED IT or even cracked open the Programming Guide (needed to get that off my chest-I apologize).  For someone who has never done programming, but wants to take the time to add extra functions to their application, yes, it does take some effort...actual "work" if you will.

I admit that I'm more of a computer affficianado than some people...there are people I know who are worse than I am.  I've been a member of forums on the internet since the early 90s in everything from computers to guitars, digital recording, golf equipment, Fox Chassis Mustang GTs...Someone asks me about a particular item (complaining that they don't know where to begin looking) and I Google or Yahoo and more often than not, have the info for them in a few minutes-forget that they are sitting at their PC when they ask... Roll Eyes

I happened to find Sesame when surfing for a few patches related to Q&A a couple of years ago.

I think Sesame just may be better than Q&A...you be the judge

Our application in Q&A before:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2256/1659138996_279e4961a7.jpgv=0

Our application in Sesame now:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2222/1658277283_86724fa1e2.jpgv=0

IP Logged