Normal Topic Database won't open (Read 737 times)
Mum

No personal text

Database won't open
Nov 9th, 2007 at 10:18am
Print Post Print Post  
Firstly, yes I know about admin and unlocking database etc... I have done that but to no avail.

The scenario is this.  After I copy or move db,dat,dsr,ddt files either by copying to Flash Drive or to FTP location, I am unable to open them again once I move back again. ( error message.... Database failed to open  etc)

I have checked the properties of the files and made sure they are not read only.

I am currently using Sesame 1.1.5 until I get my wings and a tad more courage to move up into later versions.

I hope there is some "simple" exclamation to this question   Undecided

IP Logged

Ben
Lantica Support

Re: Database won't open
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 2:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Mum -
A few questions to help figure out what you are seeing.

When you copied your files were they still open in Sesame?
When you copied the files back did you move all of the files (DB, DAT, etc.)?
Are you seeing a one line error message or a two line error message?

I would like you to go into Server Administration and select the Local Log tab.
What entries are near the top of the log file?

-Ben

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 5:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
I had a similiar problem because I was not shutting down the sesame server before I copied the files to take home, if your running client/server make sure to shut the server down before copying the files.  Smiley

IP Logged

Mum

No personal text

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ben,

No, Sesame wasn't open when I copied them.  The same files when copied over to another computer via network or copied to a disc then back work fine  ... It seems to be only when I copy to Flash or FTP then copy back from there.

Yes I have moved all files back, I have also tried just moving the dat & db file back and opening but still the same thing happens.

The error message contains 2 lines.

The lines at the top of the local log are: S_ENG 510150  Failure while loading application C:/.....[path to file}
                                                          S_ENG 330892 incorrect dat file identifier C:/.....[path to file}

Those same errors are the same for each of the files...

IP Logged

Mum

No personal text

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 11:33am
Print Post Print Post  
Just to update all....

1.  I have made absolutely sure that there is nothing whatsoever to do with Sesame still open when I copy a file to Flash Disk or FTP and so far so good. (Mind you, I had it closed before and it didn't work).

2.  I had a phone call from a lovely gentelman in UK who advised that I could use the Save As or Backup facilities to save file elsewhere, and this could be used even with Sesame open.  I am still to work out how to use either of these so tht I can change the default that is already set to elsewhere, at the moment it keeps coming back that it can't save to the path I want.

So at this point in time, thank you to those who have helped me with this problem.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 1:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mum wrote on Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:53pm:
The lines at the top of the local log are: S_ENG 510150  Failure while loading application C:/.....[path to file}
                                                          S_ENG 330892 incorrect dat file identifier C:/.....[path to file}

That error indicates that the .db and .dat files are not matched. Inside the files, Sesame keeps a file identifier. It is used to make sure that the .dat file actually belongs to that .db file. If the ID doesn't match for the two files, that error is generated.

Also, I noticed that you mentioned an FTP transfer. Is it possible that one or both of the files were transferred using ASCII protocol instead of binary?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged