Normal Topic Specify a browser for a report? (Read 3110 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Specify a browser for a report?
Nov 15th, 2007 at 8:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Our default browser is Firefox, and all our standard reports look great in it.  However, I am now creating Freeform reports which I would like to open in IE (because in IE the user can select File->Send->Page by Email, which I cannot do in Firefox).

Is there a way to tell Sesame which browser to open a report in?

Or, alternately, is there a way to modify my Printstring() printing routines so that it prints to the browser instead of a printer?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Specify a browser for a report?
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 8:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Nov 15th, 2007 at 8:44pm:
Our default browser is Firefox, and all our standard reports look great in it.  However, I am now creating Freeform reports which I would like to open in IE (because in IE the user can select File->Send->Page by Email, which I cannot do in Firefox).

Is there a way to tell Sesame which browser to open a report in?

The easiest way may be to run the report using @PrintAReport. This will return the name of the generated file, which you can then pass to IE using CreateAProcess. The user will then have the report open in both Firefox and in IE. Otherwise, you'll have to mess with an environment variable on a case-by-case basis.

Quote:
Or, alternately, is there a way to modify my Printstring() printing routines so that it prints to the browser instead of a printer?

You can generate HTML instead of printed output, but that might be more effort than you want to put in to avoid having to paste a URL into an Attach File dialog.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 9:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The easiest way may be to run the report using @PrintAReport. This will return the name of the generated file, which you can then pass to IE using CreateAProcess. The user will then have the report open in both Firefox and in IE.

Cool, I think that will do the trick.  When you say it will "return the name", in what manner or form is this returned, and how do I capture it to send it to CreateAProcess?  Thanks Erika!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 9:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Nov 15th, 2007 at 9:02pm:
Cool, I think that will do the trick.  When you say it will "return the name", in what manner or form is this returned, and how do I capture it to send it to CreateAProcess?  Thanks Erika!

Take a look at the documentation for these two commands, and let me know if you are still confused.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 9:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK, thanks again.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 6:45am
Print Post Print Post  
Scott, there is a Firefox AddOn that you can use to send web pages by email.

"Send Page By Email" version 0.5.0 is available at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2343

Some windows may not be open fully, but pressing ENTER will execute the OK.
You only need to enter the path of the email client you will use.  I use Thunderbird and it works fine.
A new option will be on your browser: File/Send Page by email.......
You will then be prompted for the addressee, CC/BCC,  attachments, etc.  Or you can configure for your default email client to open up, but give up some features set up like that.  In any case, you can modify to work as you need it.

The web page will be imbedded in the email message and the link may be included.
I will send you a sample Sesame report.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged