Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Phone system compatible with dialer in Sesame (Read 1461 times)
dougsmith

Phone system compatible with dialer in Sesame
Dec 12th, 2007 at 1:05am
Print Post Print Post  
Does anyone have any input/experience on a good 10 line office phone system that would be compatible with Sesame using a dialer built into the database? Thanks,

Doug Smith
LaCosta and Associates
doug@lacostasearch.com
858-860-1222

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Phone system compatible with dialer in Sesame
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Doug,

Being in the Telcom industry you probably know that the best phome system for 1 client is not the best for the next. There are lots of options in small office phone systems that will work with Sesame. Sesame works well with most any system that offers a standard dial tone, either directly or through a data port (See the programing examples section of this forum for a dialer method). http://www.lantica.com/Forum3/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1110922045

You say your looking for a 10 line system. Do you actually want 10 co lines? How many extentions  (telsets) do you want to hang onto it? Do you need VOIP capability? Do you plan on using an attendant station? do you want the attendant station PC based? Are you usig centernet style features?Are you planning to install and program the system yourself? Is this for a call center enviroment? If you can give us a little more detail on how you plan on using it we can give you info specific to your needs.

Sesame should not be a problem on most systems. I have played with using Sesame as a contact management tool with dialing on everything from a huge Northern Telcom sL1oo to tiny panasonic easaphones with great results. The ease  of use of Sesame combined with the powerful features of Sesame with Sbasic will allow you to do incredible things besides just dial the phone. You can program Sesame to read the CDR (call data records) and create incredible reports.

Check out talkswitch http://www.talkswitch.com/  They have a nice small but very powerfull system.

Good luck with your search.

P.S. I see your company is in San Diego, I am in Ventura County, Are you developing in Sesame? If you are would you be interested in a west coast Sesame user group? There is a great one back east but nothing out here, Maybe we can get one going.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 12:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Robert,

While we're on the subject of Sesame and phone systems, have you ever (or know how to) set up Sesame to read the Caller ID of incoming calls?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
While we're on the subject of Sesame and phone systems, have you ever (or know how to) set up Sesame to read the Caller ID of incoming calls?

Carl,

Linking CID (standard Caller ID) to a phone system is extremely phone system dependant. Screen pops as they are usually called will come from specific external boxes.

Many phone systems screen pops are really meant to handle DNIS (Dialed Number Identification) . As a generalization most call centers are more concerned what number a customer dialed then the customers actual number. This is how they can deal with many different sales campaigns at the same time.

For a small shop or single user the simplest method would be to use inexpensive software that uses a caller ID enabled modem slot in your PC that sends the number to a file or command line. Carl with your skills in Sesame you should not have any problem creating a command button that when pressed to answer the phone, grabs the number sent by the cidco device software  parse the phone number and finish the lookup. There are a bunch of  products  out there but the most common and probably the lowest price highest rated is called CallingNow.

I just googled calling now and found the software is 59.95 alone or software and modem together is 89.95. http://www.callingnow.info/order.html

I see they have a free trial. If I get a chance this weekend I may download it and see if I can get it going with Sesame and the small phone system I use at home.

IP Logged

dougsmith

Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Robert, We have a small office with a 15 year old phone system on life support. Whatever we do, would be installed by the phone company/vendor. As far as the dialing capabilities goes, I would have someone like Tom Marcellus (who is in L.A.) help. When I first started here 11 years ago, we had the old Q&A 4 and like most people, Sesame was the answer to growing into the Windows XP environment. I did a basic translation of the old database, had Tom design some basic mail merges for us, and we have been going strong. I really don't do any programming.

What I need is a system that will dial on the desk phone from the sesame screen. We have 5 desks (1 Admin and 4 people actively using the database). Carl had mentioned to Paul (the owner) about the availability of caller ID utilizing a pop up window from the database to alert someone who is on the line waiting for them, so I am interested in that potential feature as well. Am I making sense or confusing? Thanks,

Doug

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #5 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 5:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Doug,

You make perfect sense  Smiley

The biggest question you will need to answer is how many people will be on a line at a time. 

A small 4x8 (4 lines 8 extension) system sounds perfect for what you need. The talkswitch I pointed you towards can start as a 4x8 and easily grow in size from there. It has all the bells and whistles you could ever desire for a small company, it is easy to install. (good for the DIYer and less costly when paying a pro). Either way it gets installed, the nice part, it is easy for you to make your own system changes and avoid additional costs and time delays waiting for a Telco to come out.

I am sure Tom can handle interfacing to any system you decide on getting. If  I can answer any specific questions or help in anyway do not hesitate to ask

Good Luck,

Robert

IP Logged

dougsmith

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Robert,

I have 8 analog lines coming into the office for 5 people. It's rarely the case when all 8 lines are in use (inbound/outbound). The system you recommended looks very interesting as it is LAN compatible so it could be integrated into Sesame, can handle 8 analog lines, and has a whole ton of other features. I was talking with Tom and he suggested looking into upgrading from V1 to V2 as it has peer to peer which could be utilized in sending the caller info from the admin station to a desk for sesame to open the record.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 10:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 4:06pm:
For a small shop or single user the simplest method would be to use inexpensive software that uses a caller ID enabled modem slot in your PC that sends the number to a file or command line. Carl with your skills in Sesame you should not have any problem creating a command button that when pressed to answer the phone, grabs the number sent by the cidco device software  parse the phone number and finish the lookup. There are a bunch of  products  out there but the most common and probably the lowest price highest rated is called CallingNow.

Thank you Robert.

I already have a modem that pops up a balloon showing the incoming phone number, so I was wondering if there was a way to hook into that somehow without purchasing additional software. I don't really have a serious need for this -- I just thought it would be a neat "toy".

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
dougsmith wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 6:31pm:
Carl had mentioned to Paul (the owner)...

You don't mean me, do you?

Quote:
...V2 as it has peer to peer...

Did I miss a new feature. Is there something other than the Server Administration Notification tab?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

dougsmith

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry Carl. It was actually Bob Hansen (also in NH).

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:34am
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, I spoke with Paul, on last Tuesday, I think.

It was a general conversation about having Sesame dial out to a phone system.  At that time I also mentioned to him the possibility of also using CallerId to have caller's record available in Sesame.  I had done that in Q&A some years back.  I have not yet done that in Sesame, but suggested that it should be possible.

The caller ID comes in on the com port in between the first ring and the second ring.  I had a trigger to open a new copy of Q&A, and run a macro to retrieve the record with the matching phone number.  This allowed customer record to be on screen when call was answered.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged