Normal Topic to do list (Read 1100 times)
olddog

to do list
Jan 22nd, 2008 at 11:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
i've temporarily put my fisrt project on hold and decided to try something easier.   i'm now trying to create a prioritized to do list.  i want to be able to move items up an down on the list. i also want to be able to in some cases to assign an other item on list a prerequisite (eg. roll up windows as a prereq for wash car.) and i want to be able to mark items as done or abandoned to remove them from the list.  is this a reasonable task?

trying to learn a new trick

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: to do list
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 1:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Depends on mechanics.

If your plan is to do this by creating a table and dragging and dropping rows around, Sesame does not have a widget that behaves that way.

If you want to do this where each item is a record and you assign/reassign a priority, then run a report or a sort to see your task list in order, then it's quite doable.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

olddog

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
what i would like to be able to see on my form is the current item in elements and a list of all the thing i need to do before it its prereq, the prereqs prereq, etc if the exist, and a second list of the things waiting for me to finish this item.

as for reprioritizing, i would like to be able to look at the the list, select an item and push a button to move it up an down the list.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 10:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
olddog wrote on Jan 23rd, 2008 at 8:22pm:
what i would like to be able to see on my form is the current item in elements and a list of all the thing i need to do before it its prereq, the prereqs prereq, etc if the exist, and a second list of the things waiting for me to finish this item.

You can display these using various lookup and text concatenation commands.

Quote:
as for reprioritizing, i would like to be able to look at the the list, select an item and push a button to move it up an down the list.

Sesame does not have a widget that provides a list with clickable buttons. You can probably mange this using a table view with some programming and an automated sort or perhaps a list box with associated up/down buttons, but it will take some trickery.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

olddog

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 12:59am
Print Post Print Post  
think i figured out the the first issue. am using multi-line text box elements to display pre- and post- requisites.  is the a way to format the text in these boxes to be in columns?  tried using tabs, found info in manual that said tabs don't line up from line to line.  tried spaces, but character spacing varies from letter to letter.  tried to change to a monospaced font but did not notice a difference.  side note:  [changing font was last thing i tried before shutting down for the night.  when i fired the computer back up this morning all the fonts on my desktop (icons, start button, open windows, and at various places in programs) was gibberish.  fixed that problem by re applying theme to desk top, quite a chore when you can't read anything.  i am pretty sure this was just a coincidence, but i thought i would mention in case i am wrong.]  have not tried changing priorities, that is the project for tonight.

IP Logged

olddog

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 10:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
am far enough along with this project to turn it into an application and have started using it.  but there are a few things  i need to address. 

1)  i created a dud element after the last good element to allow me  to tab from the last to the first element.  however now when i shift tab from the last element i goto tghe first element instead of the previous element.

2)  my main page shows has a bunch of command button ad shows my list in a "table" type layout current record in the center and a number of both higher and lower priority items gathered using xresultsetsearch, etc.  one of the command buttons is for edit.  i use a separate form open with xresultsetopenform after creating arecord set of the current record.  when i return to the main page i have to hit f7 f10 to see then edited record.  cannot remember if i tried putting it into code, think i did but if i recall it did it before it went to other form.

3)  when i open the edit page from the main page, renamed "Main" the user interface tab says main, not edit.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 2:58am
Print Post Print Post  
olddog wrote on Feb 11th, 2008 at 10:29pm:
1)  i created a dud element after the last good element to allow me  to tab from the last to the first element.  however now when i shift tab from the last element i goto tghe first element instead of the previous element.

Sounds like you have a ThrowFocus() command in the On Element Exit event of the last real element, rather than in the On Element Entry event of the 'dud' element.

PS:
I can't figure out what you're trying to say in questions 2 and 3.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged