Normal Topic Security and Deployment (Read 779 times)
MP

Security and Deployment
Jan 27th, 2008 at 8:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
The user's manual describes how to deploy a Sesame application and lock out other users from the Design mode.  However, it seems from trial and error that once Security is activated, you need at least two users, one with Designer rights and one with rights to run the application.  Is there a way to deploy an application that only requires a password when one attempts to open it with the Designer?  I'd like to present a login screen only to someone trying to access the application using Designer.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Security and Deployment
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 1:36am
Print Post Print Post  
Will this work?

1.In the DSR remove all users, and remove the default checkmark from the box that allows everyone to redesign.  Reconcile to the DB.  DO NOT SAVE the DSR yet.

Now, change the DSR security.  Add the desired security into the DESIGNER, only need one name, YOU, with permissions to change design.  Now, whenever you reconcile DSR to DB, make sure that NO is selected on the option to update the DB security.  This will allow no DB users to redesign, and there are no names/groups set up.  But the DSR file will only allow YOU to do redesigns.  Now you can save the DSR.  Make a backup copy.

Only potential problem I see, is that if you need to make a new DSR from the DB, YOU will also be locked out.  So you will first need to reconcile the designer allowed DSR to the DB, selecting YES to modify the security in the DB.  Then open the DB and make the new DSR from that, and go back and repeat the steps above, from Step1, removing all users, removing the checkmark. etc.

This is untested, just an initial reaction to the question.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 5:02am
Print Post Print Post  
I think the closest thing to not having to log in, and still protect the design, is to create a "user" that has no name or password. The login window will still come up, but the regular users can simply click on OK, without needing to type anything.

Sesame won't let you add a new user with a blank name or blank password, but it will let you clear the name and password of an existing user. So, you need to add a user with something as simple as just "a" in the name and password fields. Click on "Add New User". Clear the name and password of that new user, and click on "Apply Changes". Reconcile, selecting Yes to replace the security in the target application.

I know that this is not exactly what you were asking for, but I think it may be the best you can do.

Actually, I think that it would be a useful feature, to only prompt for a password if someone attempts to open the application in Designer, not when simply adding/updating data. Maybe you should submit this as a feature request.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 9:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
There's another easier way to prevent users re-designing. You can use @HideTreeItem to disable the Application menu. Further, you can remove on their workstations the sdesigner.exe file, and the shortcuts to Designer from the desktop and the start menu. That way they simply can't redesign the application and all paths to Designer are shut off. Without using security.

This is of course not ultimately secure. If a malicious person were to copy the application to another PC with a full Sesame install on it then it will be completely open. To avoid that you do need to employ security.

Alec
IP Logged