Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) XML file not importing (Read 2883 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

XML file not importing
Feb 9th, 2008 at 5:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Once again, I have an XML file that is not importing.

Somehow, a form was lost in DSR.  Had four tabs, one with a subform.  All the other tabs with elements, programming, etc are gone.  Trying to locate a backup copy, but it looks like customer does overwrite each night vs. daily copies....aaargh!  That will now change.

Have located a copy a few weeks old and did an XML export of FormName1, saved as FromName2.xml.
Opened DSR, Manage Database and did Import XML of FormName2.  But this imported form does not show up.  Data Source in XML is correct for existing DSR.  Imported a second time, same result, see hourglass, and flashing, etc. when done, no new form is in DSR.

The fields are in the database, but not bound to any elements because they are all missing with the missing tab pages.  The XML does include Imort and MassUpdate specs for elements that do not exist, do they need to be removed to allow import to the database?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Re: XML file not importing
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 12:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Surprised there are no suggestions in 18+ hpurs! Roll Eyes

Anyway, still cannot get XML file to import.  I have edited the XML files to eliminate <specs> sections, and <event> sections.  Have renamed original form, and then renamed files to match original form name. 

Backup not available except some older ones that I have used to create athe XML output files.  I am now faced with rebuilding all of the form elements from scratch.  The Saved Specs and Programming are still available on the form, but the elements themselves are missing.

So, there are two issues:

1.  What could be preventing XML form from being imported?  This subform is about 4 levels deep in a multi-subform structure.  The import process shows an hourglass for a few moments, but no new forms, and no notes in the log.

2.  What could have happened to delete all elements and tabs from a form except a subform element on one of the tabs?  The actual tab page group is gone, and the element is now on the canvas.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 1:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

XML import usually works fine and elements do not usually vanish from forms, so we'll have to look at your specific case. Support will likely get in touch with you on Monday and request your files.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2008 at 5:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika.

Ben did contact me and files have been sent.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is very unusual that no solution is available yet.  Problem has been confirmed.   I appears that XML imports can be done OK at the top level, but importing at lower levels is a problem.  Is anyone else having this trouble?  This application is using subforms nested five and six levels deep.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:04pm:
This is very unusual that no solution is available yet.  Problem has been confirmed.   I appears that XML imports can be done OK at the top level, but importing at lower levels is a problem.  Is anyone else having this trouble?  This application is using subforms nested five and six levels deep.

Bob,

The complexity of your situation makes it take some time to find the "why" of the issue. There are a lot of permutations and layers to be peeled back. They're still working on it.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
I know they are working on it.  I was just on the phone with them before I updated the posting. 

But I posted it here to alert others about the possible problem.  I would discourage users from doing XML imports/exports with subforms until this problem is understood and resolved. My client is now concerned that Sesame may not be able to handle multiple subforms, but I have assured them that Lantica will come up with a fix.

At this point, our project is essentially on hold until we know what it will take to fix the design.  Am afraid that all forms may need to be manually recreated again, the time and cost to do that are scary without the XML tools.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 8:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
The XML import issue is not indicative of a general inability to handle multiple subforms. It looks like it has to do with the imported form not being able to accurately determine its path when it is pulled into the middle of the new data structure.

Cow and/or I will look into the underlying problem. Meanwhile, Support is testing a procedure whereby you can reestablish your subrecord links in a way that updates the imported forms.

For the purposes of fixing the underlying problem, I'd like to understand your use case better. Are you building all these forms in a separate application, then importing them repeatedly into a final version? If so, why is Reconcile not meeting your needs, in this case?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 3:58am
Print Post Print Post  
Here is my best recollection of this application history.

This started with the release of version 2.0.  The new import/export XML ability led to the creation of a "common template".  The common template was designed and tested as a single level form and kept in a master application of tools. 

A new application for this client was started by doing XML imports of the "common template" into about 10 databases in the single application.  Then each form was modified as needed adding/deletion elements, programming, etc..  Then forms were linked with relational links in nested subforms about 6 or 7 levels deep.  Additional programming added to help control opening as standalone or as subforms.  After that, no more forms were imported.  Then recently, natural links were created to replace the relational links.  Ascii file records were imported, and reparenting was accomplished, worked fine.  We have not been having any reconcile problems that I am aware of.

At one point in the process, problems with colors started occuring, and Lantica said the problem was a result of XML problems, and that would be corrected in the next r

elease.  I think the next release was about 2.03 or 2.04.  But the solution at that time for the existing forms would be to totally replace the form if it displayed the color problem. 

The current issue came about when all elements on a subform, four levels deep,  disappeared (still no idea of how that could happened).  That form was one that had been rebuilt from scratch earlier (I think).  So it was decided to get a backup and export the form using XML and import it into the current application to replace the existing one that was missing all of the elements.  So, the export happened, and the import process was done, but no report was imported.  Did some editing to the XML files to remove specs and events, etc. with no change.  Cannot import this form back into this database.

But, we are still seeing random color problems, so the fix might be in for XML imports after 2.03, but those imported before the fix, may still have some underlying problems?  We have also had some random GDI errors that are not able to be produced on demand or predicted. 

So, is there something wrong in the whole application?  Only in this subform?  Could the whole application be exported and imported as a new application, replacing the existing one?  Or can that not be done because we would just be copying defective forms?  Do I need to eliminate the nested subforms and redesign into flatfile structure using XLUs vs. natural linked subforms? 

Re your efforts to reestablish links, I don''t think I need that.  The one element that remained on the form was the link to the child subform..  All the other elements/tabs disappeared,but the subform remained on the canvas vs. the tab page it was on originally.  So, you might be able to save some effort and not need to do that, but I do appreciate the effort.  Maybe that can wait until we see the result of doing a good import

Client needs app running by end of March, still have more to do.  Have a meeting in the morning because client wants to discuss options including holding/killing the project, staying with/away from Sesame.  I am advising to stay with Sesame, but put on hold for one week to see what findings will be.  In the meantime we can work on other non-sesame tasks like exporting/parsing/formatting/validating data from old proprietary application, and converting data into ascii files that can be used in any database we finally end up using.

Thanks to the whole team for the efforts you are putting in on this.  My client will definitely be told of the team effort.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 3:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
It looks like the main issue is that some of your forms may not have a color table because of the XML import color bug that we fixed. We're running some diagnostics to identify these forms and give them a color table.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 2:54am
Print Post Print Post  
I received some files back from Ray tonight with color tables that were corrected.   Smiley

Will test them out this weekend.  Thanks lots...

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 2:57am
Print Post Print Post  
We also fixed the issue with importing forms into sub-databases. The fix will be in the next release.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 3:48am
Print Post Print Post  
Great news!   Cool

This solution on a Friday night at 10 PM, and on a holiday weekend.   Where else is that commitment?

I told them it would not take a week. 
This is another great example of the unique support and customer service that cannot be duplicated anywhere else.   Roll Eyes

Kudos to all.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged