Normal Topic Backup - Best Practices (Read 529 times)
MP

Backup - Best Practices
Feb 15th, 2008 at 6:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm looking for the most appropriate backup routine for a Sesame database where the Sesame server is running as a daemon.  I'm going to experiment with this some this weekend, but I'm hoping to get some tips beforehand.  I'd prefer to use BACKUP ON INTERVAL, but that's apparently unavailable to me.  BACKUP ON SAVE is too frequent, and BACKUP ON LOAD is too infrequent.  My other option is a simple Windows script which runs as a scheduled job.  The problem with this is that I don't think you can guarantee the integrity of the Sesame files if you back them up outside of Sesame.  i.e. if you do a backup in the middle of a DB write, are the copied files any good?

Anyhow, I'm hoping that some people with more practical experience can give me some pointers.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Backup - Best Practices
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 8:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think that BACKUP ON INTERVAL may work now with daemon mode as a side effect of a fix for something else in 2.0.4. Give it a try. Remember though that it will only make a backup if something has changed within the interval, so change a record while you're testing.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged