Normal Topic Assertion error? (Read 862 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Assertion error?
Feb 20th, 2008 at 12:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
What is an "assertion error" in regards to Sesame?

Yesterday I was doing some programming updates on my MIARA.dsr, on my own workstation.  Because I have to move the db to the file server for the lookups to work, I saved as a new db and copied the file to the file server.  Usually I open the new db on my workstation first before moving, to allow for the loading/saving routine that has to run after reconciling.  This time I did not, oops.

Once the db had been copied to the file server, I attempted to open it with Sesame server, which, at the time, had 3 other users connected to a different app.  Waiting, waiting, waiting, it's not opening, finally get the message "failed to connect to server; too many clients" or something like that.  Bummer.

Went over to the server to see how many clients it was registering, and found myself looking at an unfriendly little message box that told me there had been an "assertion error" related to Sesame.exe.  Click to acknowledge...and Sesame server crashes, all my clients disconnect, hilarity ensues.

I ran Sunlock on all my databases and started her up again, no problems.  Everything seems to be OK so far.  I trashed the db I was working on and made a new one, opened it on my workstation before migrating, and have had no problems with it since.  So that lesson is learned.

But what did I do and why did I crash?  Thanks for any help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Assertion error?
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 2:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Scott,

Do you know what the other users were doing at that time?
Are you sure the the previous copy of Miara.db was not loaded by the Sesame Server at the time that you copied over the new Miara.db from your system?

Send me the log file from the Server system, it may help me shine a bit of light on what happened.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 6:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray!
Quote:
Do you know what the other users were doing at that time?

One was out having a smoke, another was probably surfing for HQ versions of the new Lindsey Lohan nudes, and the third was inputting payables in the Real World A/P system.  Oh, you mean in Sesame?  No idea.  The program was most likely live on their desktops but not in active use.  One, at the most, probably had an Invoice record locked.
Quote:
Are you sure the the previous copy of Miara.db was not loaded by the Sesame Server at the time that you copied over the new Miara.db from your system?

Miara.db was in fact loaded; that's what those three would have been using.  However, my newly created app was named Miara2a.db.
Quote:
Send me the log file from the Server system, it may help me shine a bit of light on what happened.
OK, thanks, will do, but it might not be until tomorrow.  Thanks Ray!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 7:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've looked at the logs (there are logs in three locations) and the only one that appears to have any notes for around the time the crash occurred is the one on my workstation, in C:\Sesame.  At 11:53 am on 2/19 there appears  "client_error, S_CLIENT 600600, Sesame server is no longer communicating with this client".

The logs on the server are whistling an offbeat tune and looking blankly unto the horizon, trying to appear blissfully innocent that anything happened at all.

But I'm not worried about it; we've been up and flawless ever since.  I've just made a note to run the load/save routine locally after a reconcile, instead of making Sesame Server do it while other clients are attached.

Still not sure what an "assertion error" is, though, but I plan to do some research.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Infinity wrote on Feb 21st, 2008 at 7:57pm:
Still not sure what an "assertion error" is, though, but I plan to do some research.

An assertion error is due to the use of the "assert()" command in the source language of the executable (in the case of Sesame that would be C++). The assert command allows the programmer to ascertain if a particular critical condition is true. If it is not true the program comes to a sudden and immediate halt (as you have seen). Sesame itself contains very few of these, and those we have are turned off. But several of the libraries we use make heavy use of assert commands, most particularly the memory management library.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged