Normal Topic Creating Static Web Pages (Read 862 times)
MP

Creating Static Web Pages
Feb 29th, 2008 at 1:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm debating an idea of using Sesame to create a website.  I don't like the idea of exposing the Sesame web server itself to the Internet.  However, I think one could use Sesame to create a static website based on database content.  The idea is to create a set of Sesame web pages which query the Sesame database.  Then I could feed the initial search page to a web crawler (such as HTTrack) which would crawl though the web pages generating a website.  This website could then be uploaded to a web server for exposure to the public.

I think this is feasible, but it is a bit cumbersome.  I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything similar, and if so, if there are any more reasonable ways to accomplish what I'm proposing.  Maybe I could to replace HTTrack with @HTTPGetHTML and @HTTPPostHTML, thus fully internalizing the process within Sesame.  My goal is to make this an easy process for the end user.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Creating Static Web Pages
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 1:34am
Print Post Print Post  
I do this by using a Mass Update or an XResultSet routine in combination with File I/O to generate the pages. Then the user can just upload the generated pages.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

MP

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2008 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Mar 2nd, 2008 at 1:34am:
I do this by using a Mass Update or an XResultSet routine in combination with File I/O to generate the pages. Then the user can just upload the generated pages.

I'm trying to avoid work, not create it!   Wink  I did get the full site generation to work using the Sesame web server and HTTrack.  The drawbacks were that I couldn't do XLookup "joins" in order to grab data from multiple databases, and I have to make minor adjustments prior to generation, such as replacing \ with / in the image file paths.  Your approach allows me to overcome these issues, but introduces complications.  Those include developing my own parser for the page templates (since I don't want to hard-code the templates), and managing image files on a network share instead of a private folder on the Sesame server, so that they can be copied to the resultant website.  I'm probably going to use your approach, since it has the highest level of flexibility, but I'm not looking forward to coding it.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2008 at 12:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you're using templates it's not going be very difficult or onerous. Put unique tags in your template and replace them with your values in code. You probably won't even have to do much parsing and, as you've seen, you get a lot more control over what gets generated.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

MP

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 11:38am
Print Post Print Post  
We launched our website yesterday.  Completing that project showed me just how powerful Sesame can be.  I used a combination of tools to get the job done, including IrfanView for image resizing and SyncBack for uploading to the website.  But all of it is managed by the Sesame application, including the photo catalog, so it's all hidden from the user.  They have three buttons, Create, Preview, and Upload.

I still wish Sesame had a more complex query engine, particularly when it comes to reports, to allow one to query across multiple databases easily.  However, I've worked around that "shortfall", and am quite impressed with all the other functionality built into it.

IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 2:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
MP, is this site open to the public? If it's possible, I'd love to see some of the results online. Or this some sort of intranet/extranet setup?

IP Logged