Normal Topic Storage Order (Read 504 times)
MP

Storage Order
Mar 5th, 2008 at 3:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Is it safe to assume that data is stored FIFO?  i.e., when one adds a record to the database, is it always in the same (relative*) position?  I ask because I've implemented a history database, and I'd like to know if I'm guaranteed to always have an ordered set of records (in time entry order).

(*) By relative, I mean relative to data before and after it.  i.e., if I add record #5 to the database, it's position in the database is relative to the first four records.  If I delete record #4, record #5 becomes record #4 and so on down the line.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Storage Order
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 12:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
No. Records can be reordered internally for any number of reasons. If you need ordered records, you should always sort them.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

MP

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 1:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Mar 5th, 2008 at 12:16pm:
No. Records can be reordered internally for any number of reasons. If you need ordered records, you should always sort them.

OK.  One thing I haven't figured out is how to sort sub-records.  Is there a way to do this programatically without relying on a Sort Spec?  I'd like to set it up such that when I bring up my main form, the sub-form records are sorted properly.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 1:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can set a default Sort Spec.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged