Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) General Accounting Question / Sesame (Read 3838 times)
Acebanner

General Accounting Question / Sesame
Mar 5th, 2008 at 5:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
The company I'm at right now wants to create a system that merges three area of information:

1. Financial information (invoices, purchase orders, packing slips, checks)
2. Marketing information (CRM-type information, type of customers, frequency of contacts, scheduled callbacks)
3. Operational information (how custom products are made, in what quantities, due dates for jobs)

What we have now is no CRM (we've tried, but there's so much double-entry, and we're a small company, that is simply does not pay), we used QuickBooks for financial information, and for operational information we use Q&A 4.0.

So my question is, can Sesame be used to create a system that somewhat approximates what QuickBooks does (not that we ever used all its features anyway)? To be honest I'm very impressed with what Sesame can do so far.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: General Accounting Question / Sesame
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame can be used to write an accounting system, but I don't recommend people do so. The rules for accounting are well defined and not really something you want to "customize". Plus, accounting packages like QuickBooks are really cheap compared to the amount of time you'll spend reinventing the wheel. 

We usually recommend integration instead. Sesame can write out the file format that QuickBooks wants to import. We have a number of apps in the field that do things like print checks, then dump the info about the checks to QuickBooks.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 2:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Mar 5th, 2008 at 6:14pm:
Sesame can be used to write an accounting system, but I don't recommend people do so. The rules for accounting are well defined and not really something you want to "customize". Plus, accounting packages like QuickBooks are really cheap compared to the amount of time you'll spend reinventing the wheel. 

We usually recommend integration instead. Sesame can write out the file format that QuickBooks wants to import. We have a number of apps in the field that do things like print checks, then dump the info about the checks to QuickBooks.

Where can I see some of those kinds of apps? One of the things my boss loves about QuickBook is that he can see a breakdown of where our sales are coming from, by accounts -- i.e., an account for stocks flags, another account for custom sewn flags, etc. -- can that sort of information be transferred to Quickbooks? What about purchase orders?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 3:18am
Print Post Print Post  
The format depends on your version of QuickBooks. The Help and/or Intuit's site lists out the file formats you need to create for the kind of info you want to import. They are ASCII formats and can be made with Sesame's File I/O commands.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 4:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Search for IIF in the QuickBooks Help section.  The import/export files in QuickBooks use filename.iif convention.

I have a number of accounts where we import/export data with QuickBooks.  It is usually not a problem with lists, like Accounts, Customers, Vendors, Part Numbers, etc.  But there are some limitations with transactions.  But most Purchase Orders, Sales Orders, Invoices and details can usually be transferred, you just may need to use some of the custom fields in QuickBooks.  Some things may work best exported from QuickBooks to a spreadsheet, then exported from there to import into Sesame.

You will find that the file formats are very unique, not like most other formats you may be accustomed to.  Here is a sample of an Invoice file from yesterday being imported into QuickBooks:
Quote:
!TRNS      TRNSTYPE      ACCNT      AMOUNT      DATE      DOCNUM      NAME      PONUM      TERMS
!SPL      TRNSTYPE      ACCNT      AMOUNT      SPLID      PRICE      INVITEM      QNTY      MEMO

TRNS      INVOICE      RECEIVABLES      450      03/05/08      000018663      BENCHMARK      BPS035547      NET 30
SPL      INVOICE      SALES      -450      020017000001      15      SALES      -30      Shipper: 020017, Part: 0172-727-00
ENDTRNS

TRNS      INVOICE      RECEIVABLES      2088      03/05/08      000018664      COLUMBIA TECH      112089      NET 30
SPL      INVOICE      SALES      -1344      020018000001      28      SALES      -48      Shipper: 020018, Part: 281.5643.00
SPL      INVOICE      SALES      -744      020018000002      46.5      SALES      -16      Shipper: 020018, Part: 526.2529.00
ENDTRNS

TRNS      INVOICE      RECEIVABLES      2340      03/05/08      000018665      GSI GROUP      201908      NET 30
SPL      INVOICE      SALES      -2340      020016000001      195      SALES      -12      Shipper: 020016, Part: 526.3583.00
ENDTRNS

TRNS      INVOICE      RECEIVABLES      799.98      03/05/08      000018666      ENTEGRIS INC      80134      NET 30
SPL      INVOICE      SALES      -4.98      020019            4.98000001907349      SALES      -1      Shipper: 020019, Part: SHIPPING
SPL      INVOICE      SALES      -795      020019000001      265      SALES      -3      Shipper: 020019, Part: E17072860/4-2
ENDTRNS

The fields, position, etc. are not standard, they need to be made specifically for your application needs.  Many more can be included, rearranged, etc.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
We're still using QBooks 2005.

So if I understand correctly, a system could be made with Sesame to track some of the basic accounting functions like checks, invoices, sales receipts, purchase orders and bills -- and that information could be exported to a file that could then be imported into QuickBooks, so that our book-keeper can stay in QuickBooks.

Is that correct?

I'm picturing performing a batch process at the end of the business day to cull out the day's transactions in a batch, and then pass them to QuickBooks. Is that right?

Thanks for all the response so far, I appreciate the guidance.

NINJA EDIT:

This is not something I would attempt on my own, I'd most likely want someone with more programming experience to handle it.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 8:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner wrote on Mar 6th, 2008 at 8:22pm:
We're still using QBooks 2005.

So if I understand correctly, a system could be made with Sesame to track some of the basic accounting functions like checks, invoices, sales receipts, purchase orders and bills -- and that information could be exported to a file that could then be imported into QuickBooks, so that our book-keeper can stay in QuickBooks.

Is that correct?

Yep.  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 12:12am
Print Post Print Post  
That is a perfect way to do it.  We have found that QuickBooks can get by with some summary data for the financial reports, but the details can stay in Sesame.  For Instance, you could only send Purchase Order Number, Date, Customer, and Total Amount for tracking Receivables.  But the details of the PO lInes may not need to sent over.  It will all depend on what you want to do in QuickBooks.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 7:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Acebanner,

Check out the may 2006 Inside Sesame article Push-Button Exports. This may also help automate part of the process.

Good Luck and Keep us posted on your progress.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 1:37am
Print Post Print Post  
From Bob_Hansen Quote:
But there are some limitations with transactions.

Hi Bob.  So...what type of transaction limitations have you found, and if listed somewhere by Intuit, where?  Thanks!

~ John

IP Logged

Bud Rhines

No personal text

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 9:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
To AceBanner:

I have developed a system that may be of interest to you ... a medium/high end Order Entry, Inventory, PO, Invoicing, Open Item A/R, Cash Receipts, A/P, Payroll, Bank Accounts etc. through Financial Statements & Tax Reports; also included are Marketing (customer contact) and Collection Modules; Bar Code entry & printing is available.

The system has been utilized in its entirety since January, 2000, in the Q&A(4.0) version for diverse businesses ranging from a picture frame manufacturer/wholesaler to Natural Gas well production.  Various Foundry operations have used the Production/Order Entry/Billing modules (then interfaced with accounting software) since 1989.

The Sesame version is close to completion, and is NOT a translated Q&A product.  Some applications have been developed (in no particular order) to accommodate current client requirements, such as Invoicing to take advantage of Sesame's email capabilities.

email: budrhines@gmail.com for further information.

Bud Rhines

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 10:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bud,

Nice to see you posting after lurking for all this time. Since you seem to have application development expertise that might be helpful to other forum members, you should also feel free to post for non-promotional purposes.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 1:19am
Print Post Print Post  
johnbits wrote on Mar 8th, 2008 at 1:37am:
From Bob_Hansen Quote:
But there are some limitations with transactions.

Hi Bob.  So...what type of transaction limitations have you found, and if listed somewhere by Intuit, where?  Thanks!

~ John

Hello John.

Unless it has changed recently, they have never exported transactions in IIF formats, only exports lists.

This is from QuickBooks 2005 Help:
Quote:
QuickBooks cannot include transaction data when it creates an export file. You can add transaction data yourself by editing the file or by using a spreadsheet program to create an import file.

But is does allow Import of transactions.  I did provide an example of an import file in an earlier post.  Again, from QuickBooks Help:
Quote:
Importing transactions to QuickBooks
These instructions are rather long. You may want to print them instead of reading them onscreen. To print them, click Options and then choose Print Topic.

You can import transactions to QuickBooks, provided that the transaction data is in a text file that conforms to QuickBooks import file format. This is a tab- or comma-delimited text file in which the transaction data appears in columns. Special keywords identify the beginning and end of each transaction, and provide headings that indicate the type of information in each column.

And importing IIF files does have some potential issues where existing information may be overwritten or not accepted, so it may be necessary to preload some records.  The Keys in Sesame must be exactly the same as the Keys in QuickBooks.  QuickBooks does have some limitations that Sesame does not, so I have found it easier to maintain many of the Key values in QBooks, export them to Sesame for lookup lists in combo boxes.  Sesame has much stronger reporting tools so all the details are maintained in Sesame, and summary transaction info is passed back to Qbooks.  Qbooks had no type of macros/programming, but Sesame allows any type of automation you can program.  You can't even do a Mass Update in Qbooks, but you can that in Sesame and send the results back.

Qbooks allows all types of errors to wrong accounts, using wrong customers, vendors, etc. because you cannot program any type of data validation, so do all that work in Sesame to force data integrity.  Run audit reports in Sesame looking for invalid entries in QuickBooks.   For instance, you may want a memo field in Qbooks transaction to always be filled in, with a certain data format, maybe a date-CustID-Invoice reference.  Easy to do that incorrectly in Qbooks, or even leave the field blank.  But you can run reports daily in Sesame on the Qbooks data and ID those transactions that do not meet your specs.  Can get them corrected as soon as the reports are run.  Because this is an import/export process, it is not real time, and lends itself to batch processing.  The frequency depends on your needs and the working environment.  I have most imports/exports/reports run in the evening just after backups are done.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged