Normal Topic Hiding the SHELL (Read 854 times)
MP

Hiding the SHELL
Apr 13th, 2008 at 2:10am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm using @SHELL to do file copying.  Is there any way to hide the command window generated by @SHELL?  Or should I use an alternate method to do a synchronous file copy?  I'm doing a large number of file copies, and I'm trying to get rid of the "flashing command windows" effect.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Hiding the SHELL
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 4:26am
Print Post Print Post  
Check out Asynchronous shell -  @Asynchshell page 150 in programming guide, it may help you achieve your goal.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 4:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Have you tried to use the file i/o functions in some loops?

FileOpen, FileReadxx to read the original
FileWrite to copy the file to another location/name
FileClose, FileDelete to remove the original file?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 4:52am
Print Post Print Post  
If you are using Sesame 2.0, you might also try @CreateAProcess or @RedirectProcess.

If you don't mind the command line window appearing once, but not flashing up and down, you can use the file I/O commands to create a batch/shell script that contains all of the commands you want to run as a whole and execute that using @Shell. That would take a bit of planning to make sure that you do not need to execute any SBasic between each of the component shell commands.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

MP

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 10:57am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for all the suggestions.

[quote author=BOBSCOTT]Check out Asynchronous shell -  @Asynchshell page 150 in programming guide, it may help you achieve your goal. [/quote]

I tried that, but I couldn't get it to work with the DOS COPY command.  Besides, I have a requirement to do this synchronously.

[quote author=Bob_Hansen]Have you tried to use the file i/o functions in some loops? [/quote]

I'm sure that would work, but it strikes me as incredibly inefficient, especially for large files.

[quote author="The Cow"]If you don't mind the command line window appearing once, but not flashing up and down, you can use the file I/O commands to create a batch/shell script that contains all of the commands you want to run as a whole and execute that using @Shell. [/quote]

That sounds like the best Sesame based solution.  However, I don't think it's worth the effort required.  I'll consider it though.

I'll submit a feature enhancement suggestion to have an OS level FileCopy command added.

IP Logged