Normal Topic Autocomplete search failure (Read 751 times)
johnbits

No personal text

Autocomplete search failure
Apr 23rd, 2008 at 1:48am
Print Post Print Post  
Has anyone experienced searching with Autocomplete ON, showing the correct value in the search field, but failing to find the record?  There is only ONE entry for each value, and using wildcard or simple searches the value is found.  The value was even erased and re-typed into the record field in question but there is still a failure on selected records (not all records).

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Autocomplete search failure
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 2:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Does the value contain special characters like parentheses?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 3:14am
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer wrote on Apr 23rd, 2008 at 2:28am:
Does the value contain special characters like parentheses?

Yes, I have also experienced this when there is an ampersand (&) in the field. Put a backslash (\) before the special characters in Search mode.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 3:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you for your responses!  No parenthesis, but BINGO--yes, Carl, there IS an ampersand in the entry.  Is this considered an expected (or intended) action, an anomoly that is yet to be addressed, or a bug to be fixed?  (I wantd to answer quickly since both of you did so I have not researched the 'special character' scenerio.)

IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 3:45am
Print Post Print Post  
I reviewed the special characters section in the manual regarding search.  I certainly understand the power in use of special characters (used them a lot in Q&A) and of multiple expressions.  However, with trend to make Sesame even more 'user friendly' and allow for SPECIFIC use of power options, it would seem worthwhile to reconsider how some or all of the 'special characters' are used.  The ampersand is an extremely common character in company names and other business entries.  Since a simple search recognizes an exact entry with this character but a retrieve spec search does not, there seems to be room for other options.  One would be for Sesame to consider an EXACT match (especially created by autocomplete) containing this character to be a valid match in favor of a non-match of expressions joined by AND.  Smiley

IP Logged