Normal Topic Guidelines for Someone Seeking a Consultant (Read 757 times)
Acebanner

Guidelines for Someone Seeking a Consultant
May 14th, 2008 at 7:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is not specifically a Sesame question, but I think it's related.

I'm thinking about finding a consultant to help me design and implement a Sesame database w/Quickbooks integration.

My question is, how would I best prepare myself for the process? I've written up some notes about how our existing systems work, and how I would like our new system to work. Right now I'm reading up on how to chart out this new database using a book called 'Database Design for Mere Mortals' (which is software independent) and so far it's been a good read, I would recommend it.

So, in order to work with a consultant, what information should I expect to supply to the consultant, generally?

The book I'm using, BTW, can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/Database-Design-Mere-Mortals-Hands/dp/0201752840/ref=pd_bb...

So far it's been great!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Guidelines for Someone Seeking a Consultant
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2008 at 7:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'd recommend that you listen very carefully to the questions they ask you. A good programmer will see that at least half of their job is gather and organize the requirements. They should be making few recommendations of any kind until they have a good handle on the goals of the project. If they start telling you what they recommend before they could possibly know the ins and outs of your business and projects, be very suspect.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Acebanner

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2008 at 7:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I'd recommend that you listen very carefully to the questions they ask you. A good programmer will see that at least half of their job is gather and organize the requirements. They should be making few recommendations of any kind until they have a good handle on the goals of the project. If they start telling you what they recommend before they could possibly know the ins and outs of your business and projects, be very suspect.

That makes sense. Thank you for that.

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2008 at 8:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I find it helps to also take a 'back to front' view of your database requirements.  Sketch out - with pencil and paper if necessary - all the reports and printouts that you need to generate from your database.   Very often this makes clear just what you need to store and how it should be stored in order to be able to achieve the outputs you need.

Alec
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2008 at 3:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Glad to hear you are doing this.  It sounds like the info you got from the SANE meeting is being used. 

Remember it is much better to design on paper first, the erasers are much easier to use.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged