Normal Topic Pause between pages? (Read 1170 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Pause between pages?
Jun 24th, 2008 at 4:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a two-page pinfed form that is printed to using a subroutine that contains two Newpage()/Finishpage() couplets, each containing multiple Printstring() commands that print the contents of certain fields to specific areas of the form.

We recently received a new shipment of our forms and are having trouble with them feeding into the printer.  Specifically, they are tenting between page 1 and page 2 as it passes under the roller.  The last element that prints on page 1 is about 3 inches up from the bottom of the page, and the first element on page 2 is about 1 inch down from the top.  Since nothing prints in the 4 inch space between page 1 and page 2, the form races through at top speed, and this is part of the problem.

I think if I could "pause" at the end of the Page 1 print routine the print job will slow down enough for the second page to feed without binding.  Just a theory.  I'm not certain how to accomplish this.  Does anything like a "pause" command exist, something that will count off a second or two and then proceed with the rest of the subroutine?  I'm open to any other suggestions as well.

Thanks for your help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Pause between pages?
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Scott,

Look at the Loiter() command in the Programming Manual it can pause Sesame for a second or however long you need.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 5:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ray!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 6:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Found Loiter(), implemented it, but unfortunately it's not doing what I had hoped.

I split my print subroutine into two subroutines so I could call the first, call Loiter, then call the second.  Unfortunately, the first page can take anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds to print and by that time the program has funneled both subroutines and Loiter into the process.  So the program is loitering while the page is printing, but that loiter time has elapsed by the time it's time to print page two, so it speeds right through.  I could increase Loiter to a huge amount that would, hopefully, outlast the time it takes to print the first page, but then on quick print jobs, well, heck, I'll try it anyway.  Thirty seconds might do it.  I'll let ya know!

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 6:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can you popup a MsgBox or AskUser they can click to indicate that they are ready for the second page?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 6:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I could but they would hate that.

I tested 30 seconds and then 25 seconds and both work well with Workorders with a lot of stuff to print on Page 1, but as I expected on quick (lightly filled) page 1 jobs the wait stretches out interminably.  And I know my dispatchers will be even more impatient than me.

I think I'll try another tack.  Is it possible to tell the printer to just print a "nothing" value at the bottom pf page 1, maybe just a space or bunch of spaces, or anything else that would cause the printer to stop a bit instead of shooting that 4 inches of dead space into the roller?  Hmmm.  maybe I'll just print page numbers. Smiley

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 6:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can use printstring to just print Spaces.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2008 at 6:38pm