Normal Topic HTML active form output, and posting (Read 970 times)
lksseven

HTML active form output, and posting
Jan 26th, 2009 at 9:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

I've been running all of my daily activity transactions (order entry, purchase orders, inventory, pricing) on QA for the last 25 years.   It has been a wonderful tool.

I am interested in the client/server abilities (speed) of Sesame, and would eventually need about 10 client licenses.

I've been looking over Sesame's online literature this weekend, and have a couple of questions:
1)  I have a number of clients (likely to increase in number) who like to order online.  I have a hodgepodge solution currently (build an Excel spreadsheet order page, then use a spreadsheet converter to turn it into a passworded HTML order page (with calculations programming) that allows the client to fill in quantities, print off a copy for their records, and then press a Submit button to email the order form to me.    The downside is the form is static, and must be updated and uploaded - with current pricing  - often enough to be a time-consumer.
       Question:  Can Sesame produce an active HTML form report that would allow onscreen calculations based upon an online user's input ("quantity entered" x pricing,   "Line Item totals summed up for a grand total", etc) ?   
               In other words, for Customer A, can I run a report that shows the items and prices that he has bought in the last 3 months, and then I easily generate an HTML order form that includes product #, product description, product pricing, and blank fields for quantity input, and a calculated 'line item' totals field ...... that can then be posted on the Internet so the client can order product online?

2)   In QA, nightly posting routines are very important to give me a current look at what my current inventory product costs are (they change quickly).  The daily posting of items from Purchase Orders to my Inventory database will thus allow an inventory item record to tell me the 'last vendor', the last quantity, the last cost, the last po#, the last date the item was purchase.  Then the next time I order that item, the most recent cost will be pulled into the Purchase Order, helping us stay up-to-date.
       Question:  How would I accomplish this 'posting' result in Sesame?
               (maybe I'm thinking about it 2-dimensionally, instead of 3-dimensionally, and can't see how my information would be available without a posting routine - if so, please explain)

I have done all of the QA programming myself, and some of it is pretty intricate (including programming that allows my order screen to pull in client specific pricing on an item (pricing is different on Item A for Customer A versus Customer B).  I hope I'm not too old to have one more programming design project left in me.

Larry Seale

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: HTML active form output, and posting
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 10:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Jan 26th, 2009 at 9:59pm:
Question:  Can Sesame produce an active HTML form report that would allow onscreen calculations based upon an online user's input ("quantity entered" x pricing,   "Line Item totals summed up for a grand total", etc) ?  
               In other words, for Customer A, can I run a report that shows the items and prices that he has bought in the last 3 months, and then I easily generate an HTML order form that includes product #, product description, product pricing, and blank fields for quantity input, and a calculated 'line item' totals field ...... that can then be posted on the Internet so the client can order product online?

Short answer, yes. Long answer is that this would involve a Mass Update or command button that generates an HTML page for each customer with some embedded JavaScript. You'd also need a submit script for it to call to send the order to you. Maybe also a bit of security to make sure CustomerA only gets their own page. Bottom line is that you would have Sesame regularly update a chunk in the middle of your site structure. There are several ways you might choose to skin this cat.

Quote:
2)   In QA, nightly posting routines are very important to give me a current look at what my current inventory product costs are (they change quickly).  The daily posting of items from Purchase Orders to my Inventory database will thus allow an inventory item record to tell me the 'last vendor', the last quantity, the last cost, the last po#, the last date the item was purchase.  Then the next time I order that item, the most recent cost will be pulled into the Purchase Order, helping us stay up-to-date.
       Question:  How would I accomplish this 'posting' result in Sesame?
               (maybe I'm thinking about it 2-dimensionally, instead of 3-dimensionally, and can't see how my information would be available without a posting routine - if so, please explain)

You would probably do it "live" instead of nightly. Each time you save a Purchase Order, it updates the inventory database probably using the XResultSet family of commands.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 1:10am
Print Post Print Post  
thanks, Hammer! 

Larry
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 1:31am
Print Post Print Post  
forgive me for being tedious, but specifically could the Sesame generated HTML page allow this kind of calc?

http://www.wordcom.com/quote/DemoOrderScreen.htm ;   user: demo  password: demo

Updating the spreadsheets manually is mind numbing.  If Sesame can generate an HTML page that:
- lists the inventory items specific to a customer, and
- applies a set margin to these inventory items' costs to automatically arrive at pricing for each item that is based on real time costs, and
- also create a password field and a submit button ...

then I'll have no choice but to buy Sesame and commit to as big a bottle of aspirin as I need to create a new ordering/purchasing/inventory operating environment for my company.   Huh

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 1:49am
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 1:31am:
forgive me for being tedious, but specifically could the Sesame generated HTML page allow this kind of calc?

It's the JavaScript doing the calculations as you enter numbers and, yes, you can have Sesame include that JavaScript in the generated pages. It can write out whatever you want.

Sesame will not, however, automagically generate an ASP script to send the answers back to you on submit or do whatever that script does on submit. That will need to be written or adapted.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged