Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) extranet for a Sesame client workstation (Read 4967 times)
lksseven

extranet for a Sesame client workstation
Jan 29th, 2009 at 10:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm struggling with the best/most economical way to allow some of my clients access to their product and pricing data, so they can log on and place product orders over the Internet.

My original idea was to have Sesame generate an html page that could be uploaded to my website, which would allow client data entry for delivery instructions and quantities, etc, and then push a Submit button which would send the html order page  to my email for processing.   But that seems like it might become quite involved, and maybe over my head.

I had a new thought - could I have customers log onto a workstation on my network that was a dedicated workstation only for a Sesame client, which the customer could then gain access to only their data via a userid and password?   That way I could just design an order screen that they could enter and print themselves on my printers, sparing me the ordeal of html - java - submit - programming, updating.
                If so, can anyone here suggest how I might pull that off?  I've used gotomypc for many years (it's great), and have a technical support question in to them right now about whether they have a product that would allow this type of very specific access.   But I thought some bigbrain type on this forum  Cool  might have an alternative method that would be better.

Thanks!

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: extranet for a Sesame client workstation
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 11:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hmmmm....yeah....

OK, you'd need to build a form/subform arrangement in Sesame. In the main database, you'd want a record for each client with a unique id. The subdatabase would have a record for each product you want them to be able to order.

Customer comes in on your remote workstation. Uses a desktop icon to start Sesame. They log in. You use that login to retrieve only their Customer record which would show the items you want available for ordering. They fill out the order and Submit. You cycle through the subs and do whatever you need to do with the information. Then, you close Sesame leaving it ready for the next Customer.

That could work. You would need session control of some sort to handle the case where CustomerB tries to log in while CustomerA is in the middle of an order. Depending on your requirements, you could also populate and clear the items available for order in code based on dynamic criteria.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 11:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Hammer,

thanks for the quick reply!    Once the client gets to the Sesame icon, I'm confident I can (with some forum help!) get the ordering set up just as you describe.    My more general question is - does anyone know how specifically the customer 'comes in on my remote workstation'?   I'm talking about an inexpensive/elegant 'taphammer' technique (I know there are fullblown commercial solutions to that, but we're small and don't have the resources for the 'sledgehammer' solution). 

As a second question to deal with your insightful comment about 'session control' to deal with customer B trying to get in while Customer A is entering an order .... can I have multiple Sesame client licenses on the same workstation?  Icon A and Icon B?

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 11:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Jan 29th, 2009 at 11:36pm:
Hi Hammer,

thanks for the quick reply!    Once the client gets to the Sesame icon, I'm confident I can (with some forum help!) get the ordering set up just as you describe.    My more general question is - does anyone know how specifically the customer 'comes in on my remote workstation'?   I'm talking about an inexpensive/elegant 'taphammer' technique (I know there are fullblown commercial solutions to that, but we're small and don't have the resources for the 'sledgehammer' solution).  

I'm not sure what things like Remote Desktop do about that. Somebody else here can probably answer that better than I.

Quote:
As a second question to deal with your insightful comment about 'session control' to deal with customer B trying to get in while Customer A is entering an order .... can I have multiple Sesame client licenses on the same workstation?  Icon A and Icon B?  

Yes, but getting any particular Customer to pick the right one might be tricky. Remote Desktop and it's ilk may allow you to set up a different desktop for each Customer. Then, you'd just need as many licenses as you think you might have simultaneous users.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Remote Desktop will disconnect an existing user after prompting you for authorization to do that.  You can also change the ports on Remote Desktop, but again it only allows one concurrent logon.  Host system must also be XP PRO or higher. XP HOME does not support hosting Remote Desktop, but HOME and WIN98SE systems can make Remote Desktop connections to a host.

A free remote access program is UltraVNC ( http://www.uvnc.com/download/ ) that I believe does allow multiple simultaneous connections.  And you can define different ports so each user could be using a unique connection.  That would also involve some port forwarding on the routers and firewall configurations.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 6:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 3:10pm:
Remote Desktop will disconnect an existing user after prompting you for authorization to do that.  You can also change the ports on Remote Desktop, but again it only allows one concurrent logon.  Host system must also be XP PRO or higher. XP HOME does not support hosting Remote Desktop, but HOME and WIN98SE systems can make Remote Desktop connections to a host.

A free remote access program is UltraVNC ( http://www.uvnc.com/download/ ) that I believe does allow multiple simultaneous connections.  And you can define different ports so each user could be using a unique connection.  That would also involve some port forwarding on the routers and firewall configurations.

Hi Bob,

thank you for the input.  I can handle the port forwarding stuff, and an XP pro host is not a problem.  But I'm a little stumped by the technique of restricting the client's view - once they logon remotely - only to the Sesame order app.  I don't want an outsider wandering around the desktop and either breaking china in the china closet or trying to snoop around on my net.  
      In other words, the client clicks a link on his browser that sends him to my XP host logon screen.  He keys in his id and password, and then the only thing he sees is the Sesame Order Screen for him to enter his order ... he doesn't see the Windows desktop, the start bar, nada - only the Sesame Order Screen.  Do you think there's a solution out there that's doable?  i wonder if a 'thin client might afford me that scenario?

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 6:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
FWIW: I know that a browser-based solution sounds intimidating, but it's really the right way to go with this...

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer,

do I understand you to say that my first notion was the correct one? - that I would have Sesame run a report of the user's current 'products required' and current 'pricing' and create an HTML page that would go up on my website as an online order page for the user to input their orders and have the order sent to me via email or some other way?

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:02pm:
Hammer,

do I understand you to say that my first notion was the correct one? - that I would have Sesame run a report of the user's current 'products required' and current 'pricing' and create an HTML page that would go up on my website as an online order page for the user to input their orders and have the order sent to me via email or some other way?

In a nutshell, yes. It's going to be a much better choice for the long run. The specifics of implementation, like where you host the web pages and whether you use a report or a command button, will vary depending on the requirements but if your clients do not actually own copies of Sesame then a browser-based solution that creates orders that can be pulled into your Sesame database is going to be your best bet.

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 8:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
yes, I can see the wisdom of your comment as I contemplating scaling up.  OK, I'll concentrate on getting up to speed on Sesame and building the database programming to cross over from 25 years of running/programming Q&A, and then attack the task of the online HTML ordering and importing.

Actually, that seems like it would be some nice niche demand for that capability - a Sesame client-connect license that a vendor would purchase from Lantica and then have the customer install it on their workstation and then use it to hook up across the Net to the vendor's Sesame server.  I'll bet there are a bunch of small vendors (under $5million/yearly rev) and their clients who would be interested in a simple, easy, small-footprint solution.   Hmmm.

Thanks!

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 9:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 8:55pm:
Actually, that seems like it would be some nice niche demand for that capability - a Sesame client-connect license that a vendor would purchase from Lantica and then have the customer install it on their workstation and then use it to hook up across the Net to the vendor's Sesame server.  I'll bet there are a bunch of small vendors (under $5million/yearly rev) and their clients who would be interested in a simple, easy, small-footprint solution.   Hmmm.

That's an interesting suggestion for the future, but it occurs to us that it already exists in another form. It's called our Trial Version. Your Customers can download and install the Trial Version for free. If your Sesame Server is internet-accessible, they can hook up to it as clients, just like they would with a paid version. The 30 day limit on databases is server-side, so there wouldn't be any issues there. You just need to purchase enough licenses for your server to handle as many simultaneous connections as you think you'll need. Hmmm indeed...

- Hammer
IP Logged

lksseven

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 9:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
ok, so the client would map a drive letter Q: (or whatever) to my Internet router's address (which I would configure with a pinhole to map a :port to route the client request to the Sesame database location?  So an icon on the client wrkstn would do two things when clicked:   1)  map Q: to http://WordcomRouter.Port#, and then 2) load Sesame Client, which would come up with a custom menu (courtesy of my programming - or my $$ for someone else's programming  Sad) that showed them a userid/password screen, which would lead to an order page where they could choose their specific products and enter 'quantities desired' - said order screen would also display their specific pricing on each item - then they would print the order on my printer, and presto!

So, we're off the HTML and back on the remote Sesame method?

Larry
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 10:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 9:57pm:
ok, so the client would map a drive letter Q: (or whatever) to my Internet router's address (which I would configure with a pinhole to map a :port to route the client request to the Sesame database location?  So an icon on the client wrkstn would do two things when clicked:   1)  map Q: to http://WordcomRouter.Port#,

NO MAPPING! We're actually client/server. If your IP address, as exposed to the internet is 123.123.123.1, then the Customer would set the icon to run the program as something like:
C:\Sesame2\Program\sesame.exe - client 123.123.123.1

Quote:
and then 2) load Sesame Client, which would come up with a custom menu (courtesy of my programming - or my $$ for someone else's programming  Sad) that showed them a userid/password screen, which would lead to an order page where they could choose their specific products and enter 'quantities desired' - said order screen would also display their specific pricing on each item - then they would print the order on my printer, and presto!

You could make it do that, yes.

Quote:
So, we're off the HTML and back on the remote Sesame method?

With this method, yes. I think this solves the various network and security and sharing issues.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 1:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
NO MAPPING! We're actually client/server. If your IP address, as exposed to the internet is 123.123.123.1, then the Customer would set the icon to run the program as something like:
C:\Sesame2\Program\sesame.exe - client 123.123.123.1

lksseven,

I can tell you that this method, which Erika suggested, works quite well. I have a client that is using Sesame over the Internet. It works so slick, that I can hardly tell that the Sesame server and database aren't local on my own machine. As already mentioned, this will allow multiple simultaneous users on at the same time (limited only by the number of licenses you have on your Sesame server).

For security, you can put a file on the server (sesame_allow.txt), which contains just those IP addresses that you want to give access to Sesame - all other IPs are rejected. This may or may not work for you. It depends whether or not the IP addresses of your clients, change very often. (Even "dynamic" IP addresses on DSL and cable modems usually stay the same over long periods of time, unless the units are unplugged for a while.) Even if a client's IP does change, it is a very easy process to edit the sesame_allow.txt file.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #14 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 2:36am
Print Post Print Post  
Following up on Carl's setup....the clients can install DynDNS free software, and your server can confirm the incoming IP against the master whitelist.  Your server would update the whitelist by doing lookups at DynDNS.  Works great for sites with dynamic IPs.  I use it for Remote Desktop and other remote tools.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print